EK verbal technique?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sirpado

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone willing to sum this up? I have the 101 book but I was wondering what their strategy was.

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

It's not so much a technique as a guide for NOT following other techniques.

Basically, Ek's verbal strategy: don't underline, make sure you finish every passage, don't skip passages, try to analyze the main idea after reading each passage, take a 5 second mental break after each passage, and use the question stem to help pick the most probable answer.

It's more common sense than a good stategy, although I have found that it helps me to break the occasional rule. For example, on a passage that just won't register, I'll break down each paragraph and write a few notes in the margin so that I will be an active reader and I will follow the passage. Usually I agree that underlining/writing notes is a bad idea and wastes valuable time, but on 1-2 passages per test it's helpful for me.

EK's strategy is not magic formula for an 11 on the test. But their practice tests are excellent.