EK vs Kaplan verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snsboy16

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just finished the Kaplan course. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a refresher with the sciences, but my experience with the verbal has been different.

My diagnostic verbal score really blew. I was doubful of the Kaplan way of doing verbal from the start (roadmapping), but continued it anyway. Never did I see an increase in my score.

I bought the Examcracker's verbal book and have found it far easier. I am no longer roadmapping; I'm rather just stopping after each paragraph to take a second and recap what the author said. I have taken 3 of the practice tests and scored a 9 on two of them, a 10 on one.

Is this score probably more representive than the Kaplan verbal scores I was getting? I don't understand why there is huge difference in my scores between the two. Maybe it's just me practicing more, maybe it's me not roadmapping anymore, or maybe it's the Examcracker's tests are easier?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the actual roadmapping is not what matters. It forces you to formulate the gist of every paragraph, which you seem to be doing now without actually writing a map. The writing of the map slows you down, so I think you've basicall gotten the benefit of the technique w/o the cost. Make sure you go through every question after the test and review the reasons why the right answers are right, and likewise for wrong answers. It should help you figure out any recurring logical mistakes that you might be making.

I agree on Kaplan being a good refresher for the sciences, but I'm kinda sick of their super-special magical strategy shtick.