EKG interpretation: how good must a Transitional Year Intern be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

As I gear up to start my Transitional year internship, I am wondering how good I must be at EKG reading.

Please offer your opinions! thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a chance a patients life could be riding on a quick diagnosis by an intern?!?!

Then you better be pretty good, huh?

Just put a little time into it. It will come in to focus soon and it is all so clear after that. Trust me, once you get good, it is like reading the news paper!! Pick up Dubins rapid interpretaion of EKG. Cant beat it. If that fails e-mail me and I will send you some fool proof notes!! (sorta)

Members don't see this ad :)
Might I suggest "150 Practice ECGs: Interpretation And Review" by George J. Taylor? It runs the gamut, with clinical case presentations as the opener for the EKG. It's quick and easy and should leave you very confident before you begin your training. Personally, I hated Dubin (although I've read it about three times). The thing with EKGs is like getting into Carnegie Hall: Practice, practice, practice. Good luck as you embark on your new career.

Nu

You need to be able to read EKGs period.

Being able to read for ischemic changes is an absoulute must. It is simply a question of basic competency for any physician, regardless of specialty. It is also good to know a bit more than this. The more you know the better in my book. That way when your patient has A. Fib with RVR and aberrant conduction, you will not mistake it for V. Tach and start ACLS.