EKG tech or phlebotomy instead of volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungGregory

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A community college is offering these courses over summer.. Could I get either of these and work at a hospital while I'm in my post bacc instead of volunteering?

Members don't see this ad.

A community college is offering these courses over summer.. Could I get either of these and work at a hospital while I'm in my post bacc instead of volunteering?

Probably? Ask your community hospital about available positions and the hours. There's no sense in getting the training if you can't get a job or if the job isn't feasible with your studies.

If you're trying to decide between the two, I'd probably chose phlebotomy. More than likely, it probably won't matter if you become a physician but your phlebtomy experiences will probably be more fruitful in medical school and beyond than EKG tech.

Schools still want to see that you are altruistic. It's a hidden requirement. Don't shoot self in foot by not doing it!

The general rule is you need both volunteering and clinical experience for a strong application. Sometimes one activity (via volunteering at an ER) covers both of these. If not, feel free to work as a phlebotomist and do some non-clinical volunteering.