DeadCactus

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How in depth are the EKGs on Step 1? Or are there even any? I'm using Garcia to learn them, but have no idea whether to stop at the beginner, intermediate, or advanced material.

turkeyjerky

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The only ecg I had on mine was an example of hypocalcemia, it was a close-up of a single beat with an arrow pointing to the prolonged ST segment. It was accompanied by a vignette about a patient w/ pretty obvious sx of hypocalcemia (it may have been hyper-, I can't really remember).

They're not gonna give you a twelve-lead strip and ask what the diagnosis is; Garcia is a good book, but big-time overkill for step 1 directed studying. The stuff in first aid is prolly enough.

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I can recall 2 EKG-related questions, but one only expected you to recognize a condition from a verbal description. The other was a really obvious example of ST elevation. Like Mr. Jurkey said, the stuff you'll find in the study aids you'll be using anyway is more than enough.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
10+ Year Member
May 26, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I believe the rule is rhythem strips only, no 12 lead EKGs. Double check that, though.

engineeredout

10+ Year Member
May 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Could probably see a WPW delta wave on it because those are pretty easily identifyable.

OP
D

DeadCactus

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sounds like the beginner section is more than enough them. Thanks for the input all.

JamesBond15

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2007
Status
DIT talked about knowing how to figure out the axis in EKG. However I have never seen a practice question on that. Did anyone get that on their step 1?

cbrons

Ratatoskr! *Roar*
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
DEFEND MIDDLE LANE!
Status
Non-Student
I believe the rule is rhythem strips only, no 12 lead EKGs. Double check that, though.
DIT talked about knowing how to figure out the axis in EKG. However I have never seen a practice question on that. Did anyone get that on their step 1?
If Perrotfish is right, they won't ask you about the axis just by showing you a rhythm strip (usually Lead-II) because you will need more info. You can nail the vector down to a quadrant just by looking at leads I and avF (both positive = normal, avF + & I - = right axis deviation, avF - & I + = left axis deviation, both negative = extreme right axis deviation). Approximating the vector to a precise degree is a little more complicated and may be beyond the scope of the exam. This book is shorter than Garcia and does explain axis determination.

richse

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2007
PA
Status
Medical Student
I had one on mine. You had to determine the rhythm, and it wasn't one of the obvious ones (atrial flutter, etc) Luckily it was only one question!

Was it wenckebach or something like that?

Jan 5, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I had one on mine. You had to determine the rhythm, and it wasn't one of the obvious ones (atrial flutter, etc) Luckily it was only one question!
you'd be surprised how often Aflutter isn't one of the obvious ones. ;)

ArcGurren

only one will survive
Aug 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I had two. One of them was Wenkebach's AV block, and the other was peaked T waves asking for the electrolyte disturbance (hyperkalemia).

2012mdc

Enjoying the Dark Side
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Was it wenckebach or something like that?
wouldn't you have to consider a dropped beat pretty obvious?

I took it over a year ago but I don't remember any complex ekg's

justdoit31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I didn't have any of them on mine today- but I did have about 40 immunology questions :(

D

da8s0859q

I didn't have any of them on mine today- but I did have about 40 immunology questions :(
Wow, I don't remember nearly that many. How did it go?

(Also: cool that I remember you posting in the RoT threads, and now we're talking about walking out of Step. Nice.)

LossForWords

PGY-1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If I recall correctly, I had a couple of basic ones...STEMI so overt a premed could figure it out and Wenckebach.
Man, I had both of these on my exam today. No joke!

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
Remember, you only have a little over a minute a question. You aren't going to have time to do an in-depth analysis of an EKG on Step I (or II). If you have a rhythm strip on your test, the diagnosis will be evident from both the vignette and the strip at quick glance.