Elective advice – Do electives in Canada hold any weight in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnny_blaze

And my name is hawkeye
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, im a UK med student thinking of doing my residency in Ontario (where I’m originally from). I’ve already got one elective planed at UWO and I’m gonna be doing another one at UofT next year.

I know it is very difficult to get a residency in GS in Ontario so I’m probably gonna apply to the US as well. I was wondering if electives in Canada hold any weight in the US? I know UofT is a very well respected university but I’m wondering if it’s a good idea to cover my bases and do one in the states as well. The only problem is that I don’t know if I’ll have time to do a third elective so should I substitute my UofT elective for an elective in the states in a institution with a good GS program?

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

johnny_blaze said:
Hi guys, im a UK med student thinking of doing my residency in Ontario (where I’m originally from). I’ve already got one elective planed at UWO and I’m gonna be doing another one at UofT next year.

I know it is very difficult to get a residency in GS in Ontario so I’m probably gonna apply to the US as well. I was wondering if electives in Canada hold any weight in the US? I know UofT is a very well respected university but I’m wondering if it’s a good idea to cover my bases and do one in the states as well. The only problem is that I don’t know if I’ll have time to do a third elective so should I substitute my UofT elective for an elective in the states in a institution with a good GS program?

Any thoughts?

Unfortunately, there's no hard and fast answer to this one. In general, the Canadian and US systems are considered to be fairly similar (despite differences in payor-payee systems) and your experience as a medical student in Canada should suffice.

However, to be "safe" you might consider doing a US elective. The purpose generally is a) to become familiar with the US system and b) get an LOR from US faculty. In the end, one elective probably won't make much of a difference but if you wish to see the US side of things, it wouldn't hurt.

johnny_blaze said:

Any thoughts?

U of T is well respected and would definitely help.
However, Kim is right.
Try to get atleast a single US elective under your belt. A US lor will go a long way in helping you.
GL in your endeavor..