Elective choice between Vellore and AIIMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prettypea

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at a surgery rotation in either CMC Vellore or in AIIMS and am having trouble finding information on the two. I know that Vellore is pretty laid-back about accepting foreign students for electives, but what about AIIMS? Do they have a tradition of accepting foreign students as well? I get the feeling that AIIMS is a little foreboding and probably not the best *teaching* hospital... Am I wrong?

Any ideas or suggestions? This forum seems like the obvious place to start... :) Muchas gracias.

Members don't see this ad.

hey...

well...foreign students do come for electives to aiims....i've seen a lot of german students rotating in gen surgery too.....

but yea...it can b hard coz u have to have the initiative to learn! but if u are interested, u can get a lot of opportunities! and if ur comfortable with hindi, u can attend the out patient clinics and see a variety of cases, work up the patients in the wards, participate in departmental learning activities, attend the ORs n scrub with the residents etc without facing any problems! otherwise u'd end up spending a majority of ur time trying to figure out wuts going on.....

dunno abt cmc vellore though...but i'm sure it must b gr8 too!

hey...

well...foreign students do come for electives to aiims....i've seen a lot of german students rotating in gen surgery too.....

but yea...it can b hard coz u have to have the initiative to learn! but if u are interested, u can get a lot of opportunities! and if ur comfortable with hindi, u can attend the out patient clinics and see a variety of cases, work up the patients in the wards, participate in departmental learning activities, attend the ORs n scrub with the residents etc without facing any problems! otherwise u'd end up spending a majority of ur time trying to figure out wuts going on.....

dunno abt cmc vellore though...but i'm sure it must b gr8 too!

Are these electives offered to medical students only? I would like to do this sometime in the future...2 years...can you tell me the website I shold go to (if there is any-information & requirements ) because I tried searching but could not find anything. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
if u search www.aiims.edu i'm sure u'll b able to find something...but not sure how much..the electives are for medical students/residents etc i guess...

u must experience the randomness called AIIMS to see how one of the biggest medical centers in Asia functions!

I am sure you will learn a lot if you show the motivation.

lolz...were u here?

well dehli is a lot better to live in than vellore. but vellore would be interesting in that u will get stared at more than a big city like dehli. dehli offers more sight seeing i think and is way more cosmopolitan. i would say AIMS. i met someone who did a foreign rotation in vellore and she liked it.

Both are great hospitals. You can't go wrong either way.

Delhi is the size of New York, cosmopolitan, good night life, expensive, but unsafe (mugging, etc). Vellore is a small town, safer, laid back, cheap, no night life. Delhi has good flight and train connections. Vellore has good train connections but lacks an airport (nearest airport is Chennai, about 100 km away).

In Delhi, you need to know some Hindi to communicate with your patients. In Vellore, you need to know some Tamil (sometimes Telegu) to communicate with your patients.