Elective in Japan

Ammie

7+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2009
  1. Medical Student
    I earned myself a clinical elective in japan. Now I need to choose which university to go to. Cause we are given a choice.

I would like to go somewhere where there are some nice sightseeing opportunities and an interesting culture. Like festivals and such events. And good food too. However at the end of the day I would like to go to a good university.

This is the list of universities available,
    Nihon University
    Nippon Medical University
    Tokyo Women's Medical University
    Toho University
    Osaka City University
    Kansai Medical University
    Kyoto Prefectural University
    Hokkaido University
    Sapporo Medical University
    Fukushima Medical University
    Jichi Medical University
    Dokkyo Medical University
    St. Marianna University
    Tokai University
    Kitazato University
    Hamamatsu University
    Fukuoka University
    Univ of Occupational and Environmental Health (Sangyo) University
    Asahikawa medical University
    Kawasaki medical University
    Shimane University
    Kurume University
    Miyazaki University
    Oita University

Any information would be really appreciated.

Last edited:

generic

Senile Member
    10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Apr 23, 2004
    Houston
    1. Attending Physician
      I went to Kyushu University in Fukuoka for a year during undergrad and I really enjoyed living in the city of Fukuoka...it's a medium-sized city with a fairly warm climate and friendly people. Plenty of festivals and culture, but less high-tech and urban than Tokyo or Osaka.

I also visited Oita during that time and it was also very nice, but a little more rural. Known for hot springs and nature.

I think geographically speaking, you might want to be in Kansai (Kansai univ, Osaka city) or Kantou (Tokyo women's etc.) so you can experience one of the big cities.

Hokkaido and Sapporo are very nice to live in as well, but far removed from the rest of the country, so if you want to travel around Japan that might be hard. Might be good to be in Hokkaido if you're going during the warm months!

tavahom

Apr 5, 2010
      Azerbaijan, Baku
      1. Medical Student
        Hi.
        I am 4th year medical student, in east Europe. I would like to apply for a summer elective in Japan. (more in Kansai, like kyoto or osaka) But i can only speak a little japanese.:rolleyes:
        any one have any idea where should i begin? or which places do i have chance?
        Many many thanks

About the Ads

aname90

Dec 12, 2013
          hello,i will get my clinical elective in japan. i would like to go to a good university which have good plastic surgery department. These are the choice that i have:
          juntendo university hospital
          keio university hospital
          toho university
          Nagoya University School of Medicine.
          which one is the better?please help me to choose them
          thaks a lot

Medstart108

7+ Year Member
          Mar 24, 2012
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            hello,i will get my clinical elective in japan. i would like to go to a good university which have good plastic surgery department. These are the choice that i have:
            juntendo university hospital
            keio university hospital
            toho university
            Nagoya University School of Medicine.
            which one is the better?please help me to choose them
            thaks a lot

Keio is probably the best, Nagoya is also good too. I'm going by general reputation, i don't know which is best for plastic surgery although generally you can't go wrong with the oldest uni in Japan and a National 7.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.