Elective in Plastic Surgery or General Surgery to 'impress' institution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

driedcaribou

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am an IMG attending the University of Sydney and I am interested in Plastic Surgery. I have a strong USMLE Step 1 score.

I am currently looking for two 4 week electives in the US. I am wondering if it is better to pick electives in Plastic Surgery or General Surgery to improve my chances of ever matching into Plastic Surgery.

I believe I stand no chance in getting into an intergrative program and would likely have to enter Plastic Surgery after starting in General Surgery. Does this mean I should do electives in General Surgery to meet people in General Surgery so I can match into Gen Surg or would it be better to meet people in Plastics so they can 'show me the ropes'?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

driedcaribou said:
Hi everyone,

I am an IMG attending the University of Sydney and I am interested in Plastic Surgery. I have a strong USMLE Step 1 score.

I am currently looking for two 4 week electives in the US. I am wondering if it is better to pick electives in Plastic Surgery or General Surgery to improve my chances of ever matching into Plastic Surgery.

I believe I stand no chance in getting into an intergrative program and would likely have to enter Plastic Surgery after starting in General Surgery. Does this mean I should do electives in General Surgery to meet people in General Surgery so I can match into Gen Surg or would it be better to meet people in Plastics so they can 'show me the ropes'?

Thanks in advance.

i would take it one step at a time.

do the gen surg sub-I, impress the folks, and match at a good program. then do really well as a gen surg resident, rip your in-service exam each year, and THEN get in contact with the plastics folks and start making inroads into that community. chances are that you will have to finish the ful 5 years of gen surg before starting plastics.

Do you have a strong research background? the reason i ask is because one of the harvard integrated residents is from the univ of new zealand. he came to the usa and did a year or two of research in a notable plastics lab out here and he matched quite successfully.

just something to consider as an alternative to having to endure so many years of gen surg when what you really want is plastics...and doing years of gen surg is unfortunately no guarantee of getting a spot in plastics one day......

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice thenavysurgeon.... I didn't think I would have a chance at all either. I will look for some programs to do a sub-I in...

mcindoe said:
Do you have a strong research background? the reason i ask is because one of the harvard integrated residents is from the univ of new zealand. he came to the usa and did a year or two of research in a notable plastics lab out here and he matched quite successfully.

just something to consider as an alternative to having to endure so many years of gen surg when what you really want is plastics...and doing years of gen surg is unfortunately no guarantee of getting a spot in plastics one day......

Crapola. Do you know if the guy from New Zealand had some medical training at all?

I wasn't interested in plastics until recently. Thus, I have no research in the area. :(

Anyone have any more advice or is everything pretty much along the same line?

Like, I would have to be a general surgery superstar to get into plastics from a gen surg program?

I met that guy from New Zealand when I interviewed for plastics at Harvard. He is a total rock star, and is quite unusual in terms of talent and qualification. I would not point to him as a typical example of an IMG getting into plastics programs.

Get your gen surg training in the US at a solid academic program, and then apply for plastics. no one can quesitons your credentials then.

xTNS

I don't know much about the application for plastics and your chances, so sorry aobut that, but just wanted to say that if you just recently got interested in plastics, perhaps there's a chance that after doing G surg you may realize you're suited for another fellowship and go that route. So it may not be too bad to really take the time to explore all that surgery offers and then decide .. Good luck with everything!

avgjoe said:
I don't know much about the application for plastics and your chances, so sorry aobut that, but just wanted to say that if you just recently got interested in plastics, perhaps there's a chance that after doing G surg you may realize you're suited for another fellowship and go that route. So it may not be too bad to really take the time to explore all that surgery offers and then decide .. /QUOTE]

That's a good point actually. If I like operating, I like operating... maybe I will find something else that I'm good at and enjoy.

TNS: Will take that advice re: getting into a solid academic institution for gen surg.

Now I suppose the trick is finding an institution I can do an elective at and impress some program directors... :)

Canadian grad did 2 years in lab at U Mich Plastic Surgery. She got into integrated Plastics through the match at another program.

Go to ASPS site, then link to research (under PSEF:plastic Surgery Educational Foundation) - there are a list of labs that have research opportunities

driedcaribou said:
avgjoe said:
I don't know much about the application for plastics and your chances, so sorry aobut that, but just wanted to say that if you just recently got interested in plastics, perhaps there's a chance that after doing G surg you may realize you're suited for another fellowship and go that route. So it may not be too bad to really take the time to explore all that surgery offers and then decide .. /QUOTE]

That's a good point actually. If I like operating, I like operating... maybe I will find something else that I'm good at and enjoy.

TNS: Will take that advice re: getting into a solid academic institution for gen surg.

Now I suppose the trick is finding an institution I can do an elective at and impress some program directors... :)

Jocomama said:
Canadian grad did 2 years in lab at U Mich Plastic Surgery. She got into integrated Plastics through the match at another program.

Go to ASPS site, then link to research (under PSEF:plastic Surgery Educational Foundation) - there are a list of labs that have research opportunities

Cool- thanks for the head's up.

I am not sure if I will have the same chance though seeing as I am going to be coming from an Australian medical school. :)

driedcaribou said:
Jocomama said:

Cool- thanks for the head's up.

I am not sure if I will have the same chance though seeing as I am going to be coming from an Australian medical school. :)

People from all over the world are in big labs doing research fellowships (Michigan, Pitt, Southwestern to name a few). Dont quit before you try. Enthusiastic intelligent help is recognized as a commodity.

Ergo said:
driedcaribou said:
People from all over the world are in big labs doing research fellowships (Michigan, Pitt, Southwestern to name a few). Dont quit before you try. Enthusiastic intelligent help is recognized as a commodity.

Heh, thanks for the support.

Just curious- does this mean if I qualify as a surgeon in another country, could I do a fellowship in the US and ultimately work in the US providing my ECFMG is in order?

Actually, 2 more questions if you guys don't mind answering....

To get into an independant program for plastic surgery, would an International student need to get a permanent resident status or a citizenship first?

Also, can you write the Step 3 as a foreign doctor or do you have to be in a US program?

driedcaribou said:
Actually, 2 more questions if you guys don't mind answering....

To get into an independant program for plastic surgery, would an International student need to get a permanent resident status or a citizenship first?

Also, can you write the Step 3 as a foreign doctor or do you have to be in a US program?

1) While citizenship is not required, you would be a more desirable applicant in that programs will not have to worry about visa issues (frankly, many programs, regardless of specialty, will put FMGs on visas at the bottom of the pile, unless they're a superstar).

2) Check NBME.org for requirements but I believe you have to have a sponsoring institution to take the exam, which is generally your US residency program.

Kimberli Cox said:
1) While citizenship is not required, you would be a more desirable applicant in that programs will not have to worry about visa issues (frankly, many programs, regardless of specialty, will put FMGs on visas at the bottom of the pile, unless they're a superstar).

Thanks Kimberli!

Helpful as always!