Electives at University of Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blunt Dissection

"Keep poking until it's out."
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's a Saturday afternoon and I'm procrastinating studying so I figured I'd do some research. I'm looking into doing 4th year electives at UF particularly in general surg and plastics. Being a DO student, it'll be a pretty penny with the $3200 price tag for a 4 week rotation and doing 2-3 electives here could get expensive right quick.

Does anyone have any insight on how educational and how beneficial doing this would be at UF for a DO student? Assuming I'd be sticking to the "arrive early, leave late" motto etc etc.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a Saturday afternoon and I'm procrastinating studying so I figured I'd do some research. I'm looking into doing 4th year electives at UF particularly in general surg and plastics. Being a DO student, it'll be a pretty penny with the $3200 price tag for a 4 week rotation and doing 2-3 electives here could get expensive right quick.

Does anyone have any insight on how educational and how beneficial doing this would be at UF for a DO student? Assuming I'd be sticking to the "arrive early, leave late" motto etc etc.

The current chairman (interim) is the plastics division chief, so you would be getting good face-time with the chair on that rotation. I'm not sure how DO-friendly UF is, though, off the top of my head I can't think of any DO residents in recent years. It's a pretty traditional, old-school department as a whole.

Reactions: 1 user
The current chairman (interim) is the plastics division chief, so you would be getting good face-time with the chair on that rotation. I'm not sure how DO-friendly UF is, though, off the top of my head I can't think of any DO residents in recent years. It's a pretty traditional, old-school department as a whole.

It really is one of the bigger challenges I've seen being a DO student looking into old and established MD institutions, but I can take a gander as to why the hesitancy exist. Traditionally DO students have lower overall stats upon entry into medical school and the emphasis on primary care at a lot of osteopathic institutions makes those applying for specialties a minority. I think from my school's match list this year that 2 of our students matched into IM and psych at UF, so hopefully by the time 4th year rolls around for me there'll be more of an openness towards taking DOs. I suppose I should start saving $$$ either way for these electives hahaha.

I can't speak for the educational aspects of the general surgery clerkships for students because I didn't apply for general surgery Match, but I didn't have a problem rotating there in an IM subspecialty and it was just as educational as it would be for any student, DO or MD. I actually rotated at both Gainesville and Jacksonville and found both to be great educational experiences. However, how beneficial it is would depend on how DO friendly of a program it is and if you can get a great LOR out of it. I think I remember seeing DO surgical residents at both places. Still, that would be a pretty expensive LOR since you're an out-of-state student, and if they aren't actually that DO friendly then I would probably look to rotate elsewhere.

Both places are definitely DO friendly for IM, but I don't see how that fact helps you consider a program if you're applying for a surgical residency.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile