1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Electives (especially in the US/Canada) are hell to organise!

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by Josh Deb Barman, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Josh Deb Barman

Josh Deb Barman Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

:)

#1 Josh Deb Barman, Oct 12, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I didn't have many problems. Care to share what your troubles are? Perhaps some of us here can offer advise.

4. FionaS

FionaS Kitty sitting
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I hear you!! I've not got to the stage or organising the elective yet, but people in years above inform me that it can be hell... Especially the multiple forms that all ask for exactly the same info (word for word) but you're absolutely not allowed to photocopy them! Maybe try that book they're always plugging in the elective section of the student BMJ - Medics Guide to Work and Electives Abroad I think.

We can't possibly be as bad as the US in paperwork terms... ;)

5. dire tribe

dire tribe Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Do you know whether or not your uni has an elective exchange programme with any universities in the US/Canada? I'm hoping to do mine through them as they have links with several good US schools. Let them fill in all the forms and handle the paperwork!

6. Annette

Annette gainfully employed
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you are looking for places to do US electives, you might try this site: US electives Sorry, I don't know of a sight that will help you with the paperwork!

7. Josh Deb Barman

10+ Year Member

#6 Josh Deb Barman, Oct 17, 2002
  8. Josh Deb Barman

10+ Year Member

#7 Josh Deb Barman, Oct 17, 2002
  9. neilc

neilc 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

there are lots of teaching hospitals out there that are not a med school, but they still take students. i am pretty sure cleveland clinic has students rotating through it regularly. they are also pretty freindly to internationals, at least by reputation.

it sounds to me like you are only looking at the med schools. try looking at freida at the ama site for hospitals with training programs in the city you want and the specialty as well. then contact those hospitals for info about clerkships and electives. i think you will have a bit of success. it is a pain, one hospital at a time. try to figure out a city or state first where you want to be, and work from there.

good luck.

neil

10. lizzy21

lizzy21 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I've had the same problem too actually, so I have practically given up!

11. dire tribe

dire tribe Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Josh, you must go to GKT too as those are the US schools that I was talking about when mentioning the elective exchange thing. I'm not sure whether it varies from year to year (I'm only a third year) or whether more people become interested in it nearer the time but I only know of one other person that is considering going through the exchanges program to the US.......almost everyone else wants to go somewhere less developed. But obviously, that's not the whole year so there's probably a whole bunch of other people that are thinking about it too. On the other hand, I was talking to some fifth year students who had just come back from their electives and they seemed to think that not that many people tried to go through the exchange program. I find that hard to believe though, as GKT is twinned with some impressive places and I would imagine that JHU is a very popular choice. OK, well, I guess this elective planning thing isn't going to be as easy as I thought!

12. Josh Deb Barman

10+ Year Member

#11 Josh Deb Barman, Oct 18, 2002
  13. Josh Deb Barman

10+ Year Member

#12 Josh Deb Barman, Oct 18, 2002
  14. dire tribe

dire tribe Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, thanks for putting me straight about all that and for the helpful advice. I can see your dilemma now........120 applications for 20 places does seem quite tough!

I started thinking about my elective last year...........I usually find it quite convenient to research possible elective destinations when I should be revising! I'll definitely keep it in mind throughout this year though.....from your descriptions of how hard it is to get in touch with people, maybe I should start trying to ring/email them now! :) The thing that I have found difficult is knowing which hospitals are better for the speciality that you are interested in........I guess thats when you need to start asking your consultants etc for their opinion.

I think the idea of looking up places that have residency programs in the areas that you're interested in is a good one, they tend to offer clerkships to students too (I'm fairly sure Cleveland Clinic offer electives, I think they have an application form available at their website). And the book that was mentioned earlier, "the medics guide to work and electives around the world" offers some information on what the application procedures and fees are at many places. Looking on the net is probably better as its more up to date.

Anyway, good luck with organising your elective and thanks again for the handy tips.

15. Josh Deb Barman

10+ Year Member

#14 Josh Deb Barman, Nov 13, 2002
  16. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A sub-internship (or "sub-I") is done during your final year of medical school, requires a basic clerkship in the same field and entails a higher level of responsiblity, ie, a "mini-intern".

For further example, students wishing to go into surgery will often do a Sub-I in surgery early in their 4th year (final) of medical school here in the US. Sub-Is are available in most specialties.

17. Josh Deb Barman

10+ Year Member

#16 Josh Deb Barman, Nov 14, 2002
  18. great north

great north Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Things must truely appear greener on the other side of the pond. While some of you are trying to come to north america, I myself would love to spend a couple years doing post-graduate work at the great institutions of Europe especially in London. Drawn to the unseen and unknown I suppose.