Electives That Prepare You Well?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Legndstale

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

First, I want to thank everyone who replied to my last post. The information was very helpful! Obviously, doing an EM elective is a good way to prepare for EM itself. But what other electives would prove to be beneficial?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just to name a few...

Trauma, any ICU (lots of procedures!), Rads, and Cards is good if you're feeling like you need some extra EKG practice. Also, any of the surgical subspecialties are helpful (Ophtho, Ortho, even ENT). Good Luck!

Originally posted by Legndstale
Hi All,

First, I want to thank everyone who replied to my last post. The information was very helpful! Obviously, doing an EM elective is a good way to prepare for EM itself. But what other electives would prove to be beneficial?

Thanks!

I agree completely with the previous poster. Surgical specialties, ICU months, etc, are all good.

I did: SICU, CCU (cards), Rads, Gas (lots of IV/airway practice), Optho, Forensic Pathology. My rads + CCU were kind of a waste of time (not a lot of teaching) but my other electives were awesome.

Other good ones would be: ortho (clinic/non-OR), derm, ENT, any chances to learn some medical spanish.

Also, remember that you'll be training in EM for three years and although these courses are good, you'll prob. not feel "prepared" to the level you want to feel. You're doing something harder than med school. Take lots of vacations and enjoy yourself as much as possible (most common advice from residents).

mike

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by mikecwru
You're doing something harder than med school. Take lots of vacations and enjoy yourself as much as possible (most common advice from residents).

TOTALLY AGREE! Can't say that this is true for the rotations at other institutions, but my rads and Ophtho months were very chill. Learned some good stuff with minimal time commitment.

I agree with the above posters... ICU, or any surgery rotation (especially Trauma or SICU) would be awesome.

I did three months of rural medicine (required by my school), and it helped a lot since its kind of like a mini-ER... Altough I would never tell anyone to do three months of it!

Q