electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rayjay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to Australia and Ireland this year after having no luck back home. I was discussing the idea of taking electives OUTSIDE the school year (ie. summer break) with a very well known poster in the UK/Ireland forums. He mentioned that he and some classmates in Ireland took electives over their summer break.

Does anyone know if this is possible in the Australian system? I want to maximize my residency chances back home (even though I know it's a long shot) so doing as many electives, even extra ones back home would be ok with me.

Any input appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to Australia and Ireland this year after having no luck back home. I was discussing the idea of taking electives OUTSIDE the school year (ie. summer break) with a very well known poster in the UK/Ireland forums. He mentioned that he and some classmates in Ireland took electives over their summer break.

Does anyone know if this is possible in the Australian system? I want to maximize my residency chances back home (even though I know it's a long shot) so doing as many electives, even extra ones back home would be ok with me.

Any input appreciated :)

Hi rayjay

Yep, its definitely possible. At Wollongong our students do their standard electives but we encourage the internationals (especially from US and Canada ) to do as much clinical work in the breaks as it will increase their chances getting home. We cannot insure the students as it is not a formal part of the curriculum (but insurance is cheap and easy) but I've written quite a few reference letters and bits and pieces to help students arrange these observership experiences. I'm sure other schools are the same!

Cheers
Lyndal

Thanks Lyndal.

The concern I have is with the timing. Most North American students go on summer break in June while Aussie schools are still going. How does this affect the Aussie students who want to do their electives during the break which would basically be between Nov - Jan/Feb when most schools are ending first semester or going on Winter break (in NA)? Historically have you seen this being a problem or can students usually squeeze in a 4 week elective during their breaks relatively easily?

Thanks Lyndal.

The concern I have is with the timing. Most North American students go on summer break in June while Aussie schools are still going. How does this affect the Aussie students who want to do their electives during the break which would basically be between Nov - Jan/Feb when most schools are ending first semester or going on Winter break (in NA)? Historically have you seen this being a problem or can students usually squeeze in a 4 week elective during their breaks relatively easily?

Its not generally a biggie. There is usually capacity to arrange a clinical experience in this time - formal electives are offered by universities / hospitals at other times but our students have found if you contact a clinician directly (often med school staff will have friends/colleagues/contacts you can start with) you can design something that suits you. Most of our students can slot in around 3 or 4 weeks clinical work and still have a week for christmas before heading back to Oz. The reality is its not really about how much clinical work you do (you will do more than enough in med school) its about making yourself known and getting good Canadian reference letters - particularly in your specialty of interest.

Hope that makes sense.
Lyndal