Electron transport chain in the thylakoids: Lumen getting more or less acidic?

5+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2014
Status
Dental Student
Hey guys I have a question. So I understand that during the electron transport chain, H+ are brought into the lumen from cytochrome and photolysis (more H+ in there so should be more acidic). However, ATP synthase is also pumping H+ out of the lumen into the stroma. If they ask what is getting acidic during the electron transport chain, how would we interpret this?

About the Ads

enamel88

7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2012
CA
Status
Dental Student
More acidic in the lumen Bc it accumulates more than it can pump out. Just a side note remember that it pumps out 3H/Atp

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
15+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
Hey guys I have a question. So I understand that during the electron transport chain, H+ are brought into the lumen from cytochrome and photolysis (more H+ in there so should be more acidic). However, ATP synthase is also pumping H+ out of the lumen into the stroma. If they ask what is getting acidic during the electron transport chain, how would we interpret this?
Wherever the H+ ions are pumped will be the area with the lowest pH and most acidic.

Hope this helps

Dr. Romano

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
15+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
So in this case it would be the stroma?
The concentration of protons can be nearly 1000 x higher inside the thylakoids than in the stroma during light reactions. There are many articles on this that you can google if you want more info.

Dr. Romano

5+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2014
Status
Dental Student
The concentration of protons can be nearly 1000 x higher inside the thylakoids than in the stroma during light reactions. There are many articles on this that you can google if you want more info.

Dr. Romano
Oh ok I thought you said wherever H+ is pumped to is most acidic. So it's actually where they are pumped FROM which is lumen that gets more acidic during ETC.

About the Ads