Electron withdrawing/donating groups and Diels-Alder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnwandering

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking through this stuff for some time now, and it doesn't make a lick of sense.

http://imgur.com/CBj0e

I understand that when X is an electron donating/withdrawing group, there is a definitive partial positive or negative charge at the attacking end of the diene.

But the dienophile doesn't make any sense.
1.) having methane on Y should make the molecule have a definitive partial positive charge at the region being attacked (at carbon 4).

2.) but having amine on Y should make the molecule have LESS of a partial positive charge because an electron pair is being pushed into carbon 4, and hence a full resonance structure is enabled from top to bottom.

Having established that the partial positive charge on carbon 4 of the dienophile is greater when we have a methane, NOT when we have a lone pair donating substituent, why in the world does having -NHCH3 as Y make it MORE selective for product A?
If anything, it should be far less selective.
(I know that N is more "electronegative" than methane, which is donating, but it's clear that the contributions of resonance structures should far far outweigh induction).

So, what is going on here?

Members don't see this ad.