Electronic medical record use during M1 and M2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guitarologist

class of 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any schools (maybe your school) that formally expose their students to a legit EMR system (one that is actually used in clinic/hospital) during M1 and M2? What I mean by formally, is that EMR training is integrated into the educational objectives, meaning their students already know how to navigate/operate their EMR system prior to M3. An example would be a school that uses fake EMRs when discussing case studies, or that requires students to use an EMR system when they are assigned to do practice H&Ps.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know of any schools (maybe your school) that formally expose their students to a legit EMR system (one that is actually used in clinic/hospital) during M1 and M2? What I mean by formally, is that EMR training is integrated into the educational objectives, meaning their students already know how to navigate/operate their EMR system prior to M3. An example would be a school that uses fake EMRs when discussing case studies, or that requires students to use an EMR system when they are assigned to do practice H&Ps.

It wouldn't be such a good use of your time in the M1 and M2 years.

The EMR's out there are mostly point and click type interfaces. Even the VA's VISTA is a piece of cake to use. I wouldn't want to waste my time learning the EMR's when I could be preparing for Step 1.

Your reply made me realize that I had forgotten to change my status. I am already a medical student. I haven't been on sdn for some time. Anyway, the question is whether or not any schools have this, not if it is (or if it would be) helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your reply made me realize that I had forgotten to change my status. I am already a medical student. I haven't been on sdn for some time. Anyway, the question is whether or not any schools have this, not if it is (or if it would be) helpful.

I'm not aware of any that have it.

used EMR a lot in clinical research this summer. I think it was valuable to learn how to use it in real scenarios, but it definitely didn't take a lot of work to become semi-comfortable using the system. If you know how to read, use a mouse, and browse through computer software you're basically set.

Vandy gives access to the system. I'm sure you could look around if you wanted to.

Our school gives access to first/second years too, in the context of things like a student-run clinic and the occasional elective where you spend time in clinics or the ED. There is a 1 hour orientation session on how to use it.

I don't see any utility to learning to use the EMR in any formal sense during M1/M2. You will become very facile with the EM within a few days of starting third year. There would be very little point to devoting additional time to it during the preclinical years.