Eligibility for taking Licensing Examination (Hong Kong)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frankwong

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of studying medicine in University of Santo Tomas, which is a Philippine Med School. I know that WHO recognizes this school and so med students graduated from this school are eligible for taking licensing examination in US. However for the case in HK, i am not sure.

As far as I know, according to the HK medical registration ordinance, a holder of a medical qualification acceptable to the Council is eligible for taking licensing examination in HK. But I have no idea about what is acceptable to the Council, do you know something about that?

reference (MEDICAL REGISTRATION ORDINANCE)
7A. Eligibility for taking Licensing Examination

(1) No person shall be eligible to take the Licensing Examination unless -

(a) he makes an application in that behalf to the Council and pays to the Registrar a prescribed fee for taking the Licensing Examination; and

(b) he satisfies the Council -

(i) that at the time of the application he has satisfactorily completed not less than 5 years full time medical training of a type approved by the Council and is the holder of a medical qualification acceptable to the Council; and

(ii) that he is of good character.

(2) For the purpose of subsection (1)(b)(i), the 5 years full time medical training shall include a period of internship as approved by the Council.

Members don't see this ad.

Frankwong said:
I am thinking of studying medicine in University of Santo Tomas, which is a Philippine Med School. I know that WHO recognizes this school and so med students graduated from this school are eligible for taking licensing examination in US. However for the case in HK, i am not sure.

As far as I know, according to the HK medical registration ordinance, a holder of a medical qualification acceptable to the Council is eligible for taking licensing examination in HK. But I have no idea about what is acceptable to the Council, do you know something about that?

reference (MEDICAL REGISTRATION ORDINANCE)
7A. Eligibility for taking Licensing Examination

(1) No person shall be eligible to take the Licensing Examination unless -

(a) he makes an application in that behalf to the Council and pays to the Registrar a prescribed fee for taking the Licensing Examination; and

(b) he satisfies the Council -

(i) that at the time of the application he has satisfactorily completed not less than 5 years full time medical training of a type approved by the Council and is the holder of a medical qualification acceptable to the Council; and

(ii) that he is of good character.

(2) For the purpose of subsection (1)(b)(i), the 5 years full time medical training shall include a period of internship as approved by the Council.
I want to know too.