Eligiblity for Dental licensure after Non-clinical specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegoodmember

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
* i am foreign trained dentist , I currently hold dental license in another country. I want to apply to for any state license that accept ftd with US residency.
Texas dental license for example , According to their site : you must complete any C.O.D.A accredited speciality even speciality like oral pathology / oral radiology / dental public health. All of these specialities are considered a non-clinical . you don't get to do fillings , crowns or extractions
Can i still receive full unrestricted license after completing an oral pathology residency or will my license be only restricted to oral pathologist duties ?
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am also waiting the answer of the question!!

Yes you get to apply for WREB/NERB etc after 2 years of residency from a CODA accredited program and apply for a GP license but employability will definitely be a question. Who or why an employer would employ someone who has not performed any of the clinical procedures for the past 2 - 3 years, during the course of residency assuming you had tremendous experience prior, if not then its even more tough. Also competing dentist for the same spot who have satisfactorily completed all the requirements employer would be looking for as far as clinical experience is concerned.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks ddsadm . i verified with texas board. They are probably one board that will accept Oral path , radiology or DPH residency.

Your argument for employment is valid concern. However, i think many rural area or underserved areas ,which probably no one wanna practice at, will accept ftd dentist with no experience. And if u feel stuck finding , you can start your own practice. Better than having to pay 260k $ or more + interest to get DDS

Residency is not free either for FTD's. Tuition could range anywhere from 50k -90k a year plus living expenses. If your taking a loan its all the more worry some. Some schools that do offer stipend have a history of admitting highly experienced and top notch practioner who are mostly domestic dentists.

And I highly doubt there are any employer's in rural communities where anyone would employ an inexperienced dentist. There will always be competitive applicant for the vacancies be it rural or urban vacancies.

* i am foreign trained dentist , I currently hold dental license in another country. I want to apply to for any state license that accept ftd with US residency.
Texas dental license for example , According to their site : you must complete any C.O.D.A accredited speciality even speciality like oral pathology / oral radiology / dental public health. All of these specialities are considered a non-clinical . you don't get to do fillings , crowns or extractions
Can i still receive full unrestricted license after completing an oral pathology residency or will my license be only restricted to oral pathologist duties ?
Thanks in advance
Hi! How are you ? Can u let me know which university in Texas ? What were the requirements please..

Yes you get to apply for WREB/NERB etc after 2 years of residency from a CODA accredited program and apply for a GP license but employability will definitely be a question. Who or why an employer would employ someone who has not performed any of the clinical procedures for the past 2 - 3 years, during the course of residency assuming you had tremendous experience prior, if not then its even more tough. Also competing dentist for the same spot who have satisfactorily completed all the requirements employer would be looking for as far as clinical experience is concerned.
Hi! How are you ? I wanted to know which University in Texas can I apply & also brief about requirements please..

Hi! How are you ? I wanted to know which University in Texas can I apply & also brief about requirements please..

You can check on each university website about the programs and program specific requirements.

Thanks in advance

I'm an oral pathologist (6+ years) from and in India with over 11 years of experience. Can someone please advise on how do I become a member of the American board of oral and maxillofacial pathology.

1. Do I need to have an America issued certificate or can I clear the exams with my current degrees from India?

2. Do I need to be a resident/citizen of US or can I appear for the exams on a visit?

I'd be much obliged for all your advices.

Thanks in advance

You have to get accept in oral pathology program in US accredited by CODA . programs are typically 3 years after completion of program. You are eligible for dental licensure in texas , you don't need to be board certified.
However, if wanna be board certified, you have to pass exams required by US board oral path after completing 3 year program. Search US board oral pathology site to find out about these program.