EM, a Red Flag, and Applying Broadly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarfanMan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a regular SDN poster, but created a new account for anonymity. I'm gearing up for this cycle's match, but I've been receiving conflicting advice on a red flag in my application, and how broadly I should be applying to Emergency Medicine programs. If you want the tl;dr, I failed two sophomore classes, made major improvements in study technique, then went on to honor stuff my second time around and in clinical rotations. Now I'm wondering how many programs "apply broadly" means, and what my chances are of matching EM somewhere.

To make a long story short, I carried over some really poor study techniques from undergraduate studies into medical school, which I attend on the West Coast. I had never struggled in school up to this point, so I wasn't really aware anything need changing. But now in med school, I basically spent way too much time making flashcards and diagrams. I never had proper time to review them all, so I struggled mightily in the first two years. It just wasn't working for me, but habit told me to keep trying.

My first year, I passed 4 classes, marginally passed 3 classes, and failed 1 class, which I was able to repeat over the summer without difficulty. Year two, I passed 6 classes, but failed two classes by 3 and 4 points each. Due to school policy, I was required to repeat the year. I met with some advisors, drastically changed my study technique, and did MUCH better. I passed all classes my second time through, 4 of them with distinction. Took Step 1 one time, got a 227.

I then went on 3rd year and did very well on rotations. I passed everything, earning clinical honors in internal medicine, clinical honors in family med, and overall academic/clinical honors in OBGYN. I then took Step 2 CK one time, and got a 223. I was bummed by that score, and honestly a bit confused. I took several predictive exams that said I would be high 230's, low 240's. I probably could have timed myself better, as I felt rushed near the end of blocks.

On to fourth year. So far I have honored my EM rotation, with my eval placing me in the top 10% of the class. I'm currently doing an away EM sub-I, and they have been impressed too; I have one more away scheduled in October. So things are on the up and up! Other stuff I've done is publish a short story as part of a compilation that's currently in print, and I also tutored 2nd years in on of the classes I ended up doing really well in the second time around. I have a ton of other odds and ends extracurriculars. I don't have any published research.

My goal is to be an excellent EM physician, not to get my first choice residency, so without sounding too desperate, I'll go anywhere. I have considered other specialties, but nothing compares to the experiences I've had in the ED, good or bad. I have been told by several advisors to "apply broadly." How many programs should I be aiming for so that I am applying broadly? I've heard the standard EM applicant should aim to apply to 30-40, with hopes of getting at least 11-15 interviews. How many should I shoot for? And do I have a chance of matching somewhere? Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a good shot. I spent a lot of time researching EM residencies, as I'm sure you have, and the overwhelming consensus has been that the SLOEs are the most critical. If you are rocking your 4th yr sub-Is, then youre there. Your step scores are solid and your clinicals are as well. I think all those things will overshadow your 2nd year blunder. The first 2 year grades are consistently rated among the lowest in importance across all residencies by PDs on the nmrp survey thing.

As for how many programs, I would say apply to as many as you can afford. You've got nothing to lose except money on that front. Then you wont have to worry "what if". Good luck, I think EM especially looks for interesting, easy to get along with people for their programs, so if that's you i bet you'll do fine.

Apply to all the programs that you match their criteria. If you are an AMG maybe around 50 is ok, the more the better.

I had a friend that was a solid student, great personality, but had to repeat 3rd year because he failed some clinical rotations. He applied to EM and didn't get in, he's doing IM now, I think he applied very locally though.
I agree with above posts that you should apply to as many programs as you can afford - I've known of people applying to over 80 programs.

I had a friend that was a solid student, great personality, but had to repeat 3rd year because he failed some clinical rotations. He applied to EM and didn't get in, he's doing IM now, I think he applied very locally though.
I agree with above posts that you should apply to as many programs as you can afford - I've known of people applying to over 80 programs.
Failing third year is a whole nother ballgame compared to failing second year. A much much larger, redder flag.

Failing third year is a whole nother ballgame compared to failing second year. A much much larger, redder flag.
I guess so, I think he only failed the Surgery SHELF exam, otherwise he did well on the wards.