• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

docjolly

On Cloud Nine, Once Again
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2004
The Empire State
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hola,

Has anyone done an EM away rotation in Boston? If so, how was your experience? I'm more or less not interested in going to Harvard for my away...but it seems like it's inevitable that I do, if I want to go to Boston. (I've been searching on the SAEM's webiste for the different rotations in Boston).

Anyhow, I'd like to PM you and ask you a few questions.

thanks for your help!

docj

WallowaWanderer

10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2007
Denver, CO
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hola,

Has anyone done an EM away rotation in Boston? If so, how was your experience? I'm more or less not interested in going to Harvard for my away...but it seems like it's inevitable that I do, if I want to go to Boston. (I've been searching on the SAEM's webiste for the different rotations in Boston).

Anyhow, I'd like to PM you and ask you a few questions.

thanks for your help!

docj

I've heard great things about Boston Medical Center, if you are up for looking at the 4 year programs. If you went that route, you would want a nice TY year.

I've also heard good things about BI

theCamel

wessssside
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
if you don't want to be at a harvard program & you want to be in boston you're looking at tufts and BMC. tufts doesn't have a residency program (yet) even though their EM month is great, so really you're looking at BMC -- which also does a very good EM rotation. in the area, umass and brown are also fantastic programs with great EM months but are 45 minutes from the city.

About the Ads

MNgrrl

15+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2003
Seattle, WA
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I rotated at Boston Medical Center and loved it (so much so that I will be going there for residency too...). It was a well organized rotation and easy to set up (in contrast to Harvard aways, which was a nightmare through the HMS registrar). Harvard has good aways from what I've heard though. If you want to go into EM, I probably wouldn't recommend an away at Tufts Med Center since there's no residency program there and you won't see trauma (although one BI resident rotates there every month). The Tufts affiliated EM residency program is at Baystate, which is about an hour and a half away in Springfield. As theCamel mentioned, Brown and UMass also have good electives and are 45 min to 1 hr away from Boston. To see if BMC has available slots, you can email Nancy Connor ([email protected]) and she'll put you down for a month, then you can submit your paperwork to the BU registrar.

I interviewed at all the area programs, so PM me if you have any questions (I'm in Africa right now though so it might take awhile to respond :))

jbar

Dec 18, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
this reminds me of when I was applying to med schools. I asked about EM when I was at Tufts and they started getting really excited about Springfield. I was thinking "I'm not going to go to school in Boston so I can drive to Springfield." Especially since the other med schools in Boston have big hospitals. Sorta stinks for Tufts students, I was told that they have to travel 20min average on rotations. Glad I ended up somewhere that I can walk to third year.

docjolly

On Cloud Nine, Once Again
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2004
The Empire State
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
thank you, everyone, for all of your replies/advice :love:

i truly appreciate it.

as a side note, how far away from boston is springfield? is there a train system in springfield? just curious..

Janders

15+ Year Member
May 24, 2002
BOSTON
Status (Visible)
*Sniff Sniff* I think you'd have a lovely time here at BI, but since you don't want to come to Harvard... *sobs*

Boston-proper has 3 separate EM residencies, two of those are harvard-affiliates: the BIDMC program and the combined BWH/MGH program. The third program is the BMC program. BI is 1-3(optional 4th yr), BWH/MGH is 1-4 and BMC is 2-4.
There is apparently a program in Springfield that I know nothing about. There is also the Umass program in Worchester, about an hour west of the city.

Again, I think you'd have a great time at BI, but if you are allergic to the Harvard name, I do have a very close friend who did an externship at BMC during our fourth year. Though she ended up matching in a completely different city, I know she had a good time during her month. I trust her opinion completely. She described the month as pretty laid back with a nice schedule, a day dedicated to riding with Boston EMS, and chances to do a couple fun procedures. Regardless of where you go, Boston is a wicked fun city, so be sure to enjoy yourself:)

P2J

10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
No train system in Springfield... there are public buses but I hear they aren't all that convenient. I think you need a car to get around, particulary since springfield isn't that great of a place you will want a car to get out of there when you aren't at work.

NJEMT1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
There is apparently a program in Springfield that I know nothing about.

The program in Springfield is at Baystate Medical Center. This is the Tufts-affilitated EM residency. The Tufts EM department chairperson is in Springfield. 3rd and 4th yr Tufts med students go there for rotations, and you can elect to do your entire 3rd yr there. This is where most of the EM-bound Tufts students go for their EM rotation.

vtucci

Attending in Emergency Medicine
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2003
Houston
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'd love to do an away rotation at Harvard but alas, cannot afford the housing. Sigh.

Termwean

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I grew up in Springfield. It's not all bad...just not Boston. I think I might try and do an away in Springfield just so I can be near my family for a month....maybe apply there if they like me.

WakeMedHeel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Boston is a great city to do an away...especially in the summer. All the programs are solid - each with it's own flavor.

I'm happy to answer specific questions about BMC if you're interested...

EBKame

10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2004
Northeast
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I realize beggar's can't be choosers, but I'm still waiting for some type of confirmation that my September elective has gone through at BIDMC. At this point I might as well forget applying anywhere else. I applied in April...

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.