EM core schedule + residency for an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triguy358

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all-

I need advice on matching EM (programs, pointers, etc)

I'm an MSIII (IMG- big 4 school) in the process of scheduling my fourth year electives. I'm pretty set on EM. My main reasoning is that I like the attitudes of the physicians, residents, and nurses and the ebb and flow of the typical day. More academically I enjoy the common pathologies that present and the role of the ED in the overall care of the patients.

I've read numerous posts on this site and others detailing the increasing competitiveness of EM residency and understand the difficulty facing IMGs herein. However, I still feel that if my core rotations go well and I carefully chose my audition rotations I can make it happen. I think my school matched 50ish in EM in 2013, but I have no clue about their statistics and strategies, their overall competitiveness, etc.

I have a USMLE Step 1 of 243 and one core rotation done (no grade yet). This is my only piece of data to work with right now. I'm guessing it will keep a few doors from immediately closing and nothing more. Most programs only want LCME school 4th years, which severely limits my choices. Even some schools which are "IMG friendly" won't accept non-LCME students.

Should I schedule all 3 away rotations at non-competetive programs? Will these likely be my only choices for matching? My main problem is understanding what my chances are for which programs, so that I can most effectively tailor my audition rotations. If I do really well during my core's/step II, and then get a great LOR will this give me a fighting chance in some more competitive programs?

Any and All advice is greatly appreciated. Even from the negative nancy's :)

Members don't see this ad.