EM Critical Care Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Does anyone know of any other CC fellowships that are EM friendly aside from the ones on this list?

http://www.emccmfellowship.org/programs.php

2) How do people that aren't IM trained (EM) best learn about things like chronic HTN and Diabetes management? I imagine these people would be "behind the curve" compared to their IM counterparts.

3) What criteria are most commonly used for selection? Letters, Step scores, inservice scores, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

There are a alot more than what is in that list since EM docs can now apply through IM-CC, Anesthesia-CC, and surgery-CC.

Maybe check the EMRA critical care division and aee if anything is posted there.

agree with second poster, i know WFU in NC has an anesthesia run CC fellowship that is EM friendly (also has pulm CC which is not)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just email the program directors of the places you're interested in. If they say that they don't take EM people, then you've lost nothing. If they say yes, then you're good to go.

agree with second poster, i know WFU in NC has an anesthesia run CC fellowship that is EM friendly (also has pulm CC which is not)

the wake 2 year cc program is boarded by IM, but it is connected to the gas department. You would be eligible there. and to my knowledge you cannot be boarded in pulm from any other specialty except medicine. so even if you did get into a 3y pulm/cc program from em....you would only be able to sit for the cc boards, not both.

You should check out FREIDA, this gives you all IM-based programs that will allow board certification. Some will not take EM residents others will, just depends.

As for anesthesia-based programs e-mail around some will tell you which ones will and which ones won't. There are others that are EM specific (indiana, BIDMC etc..) these are not necessarily going to get you boarded though. I applied via IM route to all 2 year fellowships.

I had high step scores, no one cared about those it never came up, and most people did not screen based on this, or so I was told. Everyone cares about letters, research (this was mostly a conversation starter) and also what you did in residency to set yourself apart.

As for being behind as an ED resident you will be behind in some things and ahead in others. You don't do a fellowship with nothing to learn. Also managing asymptomatic HTN isn't a frequent issue. Your medicine colleagues know far more about bone marrow transplant patients, the typical course of MDS, frequent complications of unusual diseases etc... I also knew I was going into critical care from the start and spent most of my residency focusing on patients with critical illness.

Also, you should probably ask others on this and other forums about critical care in general. Im sure JDH and others would tell you its not the running around intubating code blues that most EM residents think it is. The pace is slower, there is far more attention to detial, and the daily ins and outs are not what most EM residents percieve. You may already know this but just keep that in mind when deciding to do a fellowship in CC.