EM doc survives in snowcave

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, how many on this forum know Adam?
<raises hand>

Really a nice, easygoing guy...

Are we name-dropping colleagues?;)

Glad they're back safely.

Members don't see this ad :)
Adam just graduated from the program I am currently at. Really nice guy. Totally into "outdoorsy" stuff. The funny part is, if anyone could make it in the wild, it would be him...

Both he and his fiancee are doing well...

Thanks to Bear Grylls and Les Stroud I could too. I just need my harmonica and to do something incredibly risky and stupid like jump down a mountain.

they must have really hiked a long way out of the boundary to get that lost. I wonder what the mountains around there are like. Usually one can tell where one is by the shapes of the surrounding mountains and a good map. No GPS I guess? In any case very glad they are okay!

The article says they were in whiteout conditions when they got lost. Not knowing the area, I'd guess that they were on one side of a valley and thought they were on the opposite one.

(MossPoh, nice avatar!) ;)

Thanks. For a second I was really really confused. I just thought "Wait, I didn't write that". Then I saw the name. We're just too cool....or bitter. Who knows which.

I'm not second guessing the people who got lost, but I will say that if I'm going out of bounds skiing I have a compass, headlamp, food, water, leatherman etc. I think there is often a problem with people who are hiking for tracks from a lift who think of it as in bounds skiing away from people, rather than as a potential backcountry survival trip.

I'm not second guessing the people who got lost, but I will say that if I'm going out of bounds skiing I have a compass, headlamp, food, water, leatherman etc. I think there is often a problem with people who are hiking for tracks from a lift who think of it as in bounds skiing away from people, rather than as a potential backcountry survival trip.

That is probably true most of the time. In this case, however, they were set for a backcountry trek on their snowboards. Somehow, they ended up getting lost. To their credit, though, Adam had his shovel and his "backpack water purification system"...

He was quite prepared--just needed some help getting home :)

Amazingly, he kept in constant touch with the rescuers using his cell phone--the coordinates he kept giving them kept them far away from his actual location.

He has a vacation scheduled in Colorado next month (for snowboarding!). I wonder if he is still gonna go...

I'm just wondering out loud, but how come he didn't just use a little bit of battery time to speak with rescuers at night, so they could figure his position based on the moon, the stars, etc.? I'd think you could get some pretty specific info that way.

As it was, they got the position from the cell tower, figured they couldn't be where they thought they were, and widened the search. It's way easy to second-guess, but I'd think a touch of Ancient Mariner Style would have shortened the wait a little.

Amazingly, he kept in constant touch with the rescuers using his cell phone--the coordinates he kept giving them kept them far away from his actual location.

So he was making a bunch of cold calls?

Well, they were very short calls.

EMS: Marco!

LOST GUY: Polo!

Etc., repeated frequently.

Well, they were very short calls.

EMS: Marco!

LOST GUY: Polo!

Etc., repeated frequently.

When they finally got to them, I hope it was a warm reception