EM/FM combined residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NOsaintsfan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
FREIDA lists two programs one in Delaware and one in Louisiana. Does anyone have any info on these programs or any insight into the type of practice dual boarding like this would lead too. A combo of both specialties would seem to be geared toward someone working in a more rural location but I'm not sure. If anyone has any insight on this career path I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ya it seems like EM/FM is geared more toward someone who wants to be the small town doc capable of handing a wide range of patients and situations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses. I thought in most rural places its still possible to do ER work after FM residency that's why I was wondering about the combination. It seems like an awesome skill set to have but I'm not sure how you would practice with such credentials. It seems like at the end of it all one would simply choose EM or FM and primarily focus on that.

Anyone else have any insight on this?

Thanks for the responses. I thought in most rural places its still possible to do ER work after FM residency that's why I was wondering about the combination. It seems like an awesome skill set to have but I'm not sure how you would practice with such credentials. It seems like at the end of it all one would simply choose EM or FM and primarily focus on that.

Anyone else have any insight on this?

Some people split time between EM shifts and having some clinic days.

A much better option would be EM/IM.

That way, the door is open to the myriad of IM sub-specialties if you ever decided to go that route.

In a rural location, your could work EM with FM training alone.

Agree with Mr. Birdstrike on this one. Also would you not get very rusty in doing EM in a rural area. For example I can think of the number of times someone needed a tap/chest tube/central line at my previous job in 4 years and it was less than 10. But this is a VERY slow place and the majority of the time you are sleeping......except on the weekends when it is truly feast or famine.