EM in-service exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laptop

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the question style in yearly EM in-service exam? Multiple choice questions like USMLE or written questions like the board exam?

Members don't see this ad.

The question stems are typically shorter than those of shelf exams or the USMLE.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys new here,
i heard that last years inservice exam numbers were greatly inflated due to a residency with multiple residents that were caught cheating. does anyone know anything about this?

hey guys new here,
i heard that last years inservice exam numbers were greatly inflated due to a residency with multiple residents that were caught cheating. does anyone know anything about this?

Yep, you are pretty new here. That may raise certain suspicions...

- insert trollicon -

hey it's honest question and i did state i'm new here. i didn't know about this board until i saw one of my fellow residents on it.
i just want to know if it's true. i want to know about the test as well, considering we all have to take it. so shove your little "trollicon", whatever that is.

hey guys new here,

You really believe that 30 residents "cheating" on an exam can have any significant impact on the average score of over 1000 residents?

if anything was altered it would have been the percentiles...who gives a crap about percentiles. all that matters is your raw. greater than 75% = pass board exam.

You guys! Quit talking about the inservice or we'll all get whisked away in unmarked ABEM cars.

hey it's honest question and i did state i'm new here. i didn't know about this board until i saw one of my fellow residents on it.
i just want to know if it's true. i want to know about the test as well, considering we all have to take it. so shove your little "trollicon", whatever that is.

Well if it really was an honest question then consider my little quip shoved. My comment was mostly in jest anyway. However, since you're new here, allow me to give you a couple of useful hints:

1) When someone's first post ever is a potentially inflammatory post about sensitive topic it raises suspicions. This is because a lot of people like to make new identities simply so that they can cause trouble over hot to the touch issues here. As such, the people who visit regularly develop a sensitive troll radar. Perhaps mine lacks specificity...

2) We kid as much or more than we reply seriously on this forum. If you are not OK with a little jab now and again - knowing that they are generally good spirited - then it would be wise not to post here.

However, if you can manage to take a joke in stride while having in depth conversations about important issues, then please accept my sincere welcome to the EM Forum.

Well if it really was an honest question then consider my little quip shoved. My comment was mostly in jest anyway. However, since you're new here, allow me to give you a couple of useful hints:

1) When someone's first post ever is a potentially inflammatory post about sensitive topic it raises suspicions. This is because a lot of people like to make new identities simply so that they can cause trouble over hot to the touch issues here. As such, the people who visit regularly develop a sensitive troll radar. Perhaps mine lacks specificity...

2) We kid as much or more than we reply seriously on this forum. If you are not OK with a little jab now and again - knowing that they are generally good spirited - then it would be wise not to post here.

However, if you can manage to take a joke in stride while having in depth conversations about important issues, then please accept my sincere welcome to the EM Forum.

sorry but i don't understand how my post is inflammatory. i wanted to know more about the inservice exam and was reading the original post. i felt i had a legitimate question so i asked.

Actually, KBrown's PD cares about percentiles...

KBrown's PD might care, but KBrown cares about the real exam. BADMD, will you ever stop harrassing me??

Be nice. You have to hear from me at least every 3 months for the next 2 years.

True enough. Nice presentation by the way. We were all proud of you. You were BY FAR the best speaker.