EM Journals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TylerDurden

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on good (or bad) journals to subscribe to for EM? I am a third year medical student and am hoping to gain a better understanding of the issues surrounding the field of EM. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Become a student member of ACEP/EMRA. You'll get a subscription to Annals of Emergency Medicine which is the industry standard in EM along with other useful freebies. Check out a copy in your medical library.

I would also look into joining AAEM-- they have a slightly different view on Emergency Medicine and some excellent resources... membership is free for the first year. You also get acccess to Rules of the Road for Medical Student which is very helpful when going through the match...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are looking at more academic journals, join EMRA/ACEP and SAEM. AAEM is more of a political action committee who's main interest is in EMTALA laws, corporate Emergency Medicine, and malpractice, whereas EMRA/ACEP/SAEM are more into the academic parts of EM. Good thing about AAEM as EMRaiden said is its either free or very cheap. I am not a member of SAEM but likely will be.

Q, DO

I remember that in grad school, a prof recounted how excited he was about getting his first reprint of Science. When my first reprint arrived in the mail, I glossed over it and threw it in the drawer without a detailed read. When my first issue of Annals came however, I took it to the can with me and was able to run through quite a bit before heading out. The material is definitely an easy/interesting read.

PS my attending mockingly calls it Anals

"The Journal of Emergency Medicine" from AAEM is easily the most useful journal with wonderful case presentations...I find myself reading it far more often than Annals or Academic Emergency Medicine.
I have been a member of ACEP, EMRA, AAEM, and SAEM for a few years and I find each of them to have wonderful aspects, but "JEM" is the most enjoyable read by far.

For those interested in Audio journals "EM Rap" is fantastic.