EM loan help for rural hospital??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cooldreams

American Mensa Member :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had heard of EM docs getting loan reimbursment for working in rural/needy towns?? i know FP's have something like that in many places but i havent heard of anything like that for EP's ??

Members don't see this ad.

EM docs actually make more working in rural towns than city's so I'm not sure if loan help is really necessary.

C

Seaglass said:
EM docs actually make more working in rural towns than city's so I'm not sure if loan help is really necessary.

C

Not any of the ones I know. That may true at the east coast academic centers that really don't pay EM very well. Here in Colorado the city docs make 2-4x as much as the rate in the rural areas. I did have one friend in residency that got some sort of deal with the state of Kansas to practice in a rural area when he was finished but Idon't know any of the details

Members don't see this ad :)
It must be an Eaast Coast thing then. The seniors I talked to last year were saying they could get 25-30% more by going out to a rural hospital. Actually some of those were midwest places too.

C

Seaglass said:
It must be an Eaast Coast thing then. The seniors I talked to last year were saying they could get 25-30% more by going out to a rural hospital. Actually some of those were midwest places too.

C
Part of the reason rural EM docs can do so well is that the lack of subspecialty backup. You end up doing all the codes and a lot more procedure in a hospital/community that doesn't have quick surgical backup for a chest tube, or plastics to do a face laceration, or 24 hr radiology to read a stat chest film, or hospitalists to run ICU codes. Those billings do add up.