EM Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Detroit Rock City

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that the interview season if offically over, I'm looking to get some feedback from people who went on EM interviews this past year. I'm interested as to what you will base your rank-order lists on.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
DRC

Members don't see this ad.

location is the number 1 factor for me for personal reasons

the residents -- this gives you the flavor of the program -- if the resident's personalities are compatible with mine, then I view the program favorably -- these are the people who I'll be working alongside of, so I need to be sure that I would like to work with them

the attendings -- for similar reasons -- I prefer attendings who are more laid back and willing to give the residents some degree of independence

the program director -- will the program director go to bat for the residents? -- is his/her vision consistent with what I want out of a training program

patient population -- the more diverse, the better

other sites -- rotation at just one hospital or more -- I prefer rotating through more than 1 hospital to get different exposure

ancillary support -- will I be transporting patients and starting IVs or will I be treating and managing patients?

other factors (no particular order)
trauma
off-service rotations
ultrasound
facilities
reputation -- where do residents go? getting jobs easy? name recognition
3 vs 4 year
protected conference time
unique experiences (helicopter, toxicology, tactical medicine, disaster medicine, etc.)

I think that's it.

-James

Hey DRC.,
I am a recent graduate of a Fifth Pathway Program in N.Y. I recently completed my Emergency Medicine Interviews. I am happy to say that I already signed out of the match which takes a lot of stress off of me. I would have to say the most important factors for me were:
1. Location
2. Resident well being
2. Off service rotations ( I HATE FLOOR WORK)
3. Job success of recent graduates
4. EM Board pass rate of graduates

Of course there were other factors but these were my main concerns. It is also nice when the trauma team doesn't interfere with the EM Staff.

Members don't see this ad :)
As you can tell, it is late, I am tired, and I can't number a list correctly. Sorry.
Jerry

Congrats,
which school did you go to and which program will be so honored to have your presence?
DRC

Thanks DRC. I graduated from Guadalajara, Mexico. I completed a fifth pathway program through New York Medical College (which I believe is the only active 5PW program in the nation.) I signed with North Shore University Hospital on Long Island. I did a 5 week elective rotation there during my 5PW year. It is an Excellent 3 year program. All their off service rotations are in the ICU setting, PICU, MICU, SICU, and CCU. No floor work. They have very friendly and down to earth residents who are very intelligent. The program director and all the attendings I had the pleasure of working with are among the best in the field. The program has an impressive board success rate despite being a young program (7 years old). Trauma team only interferes if the EM staff decides to call them. Thanks again for the interest. Jerry