Jordan95

2+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
Hi, what are the chances of matching into a decent EM or possibly general surgery program as a D.O? My friends seem to think I'm going to run into problems in the future and I'm actually a little worried about it.

Thanks for any input,

PossibleDOC?

2+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2016
If you don't know about career prospects based on degree then you should first focus on what it is you will be doing as a doctor before you even apply. Google is your friend no one is going to spoon feed you in med school.

Reactions: Dr. Death
OP
Jordan95

Jordan95

2+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
If you don't know about career prospects based on degree then you should first focus on what it is you will be doing as a doctor before you even apply. Google is your friend no one is going to spoon feed you in med school.
Spoon feed what though? I'm lactose intolerant.

Thanks for the input,

Reactions: bon22

Dr. Janitor

2+ Year Member
May 6, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Hi, what are the chances of matching into a decent EM or possibly general surgery program as a D.O? My friends seem to think I'm going to run into problems in the future and I'm actually a little worried about it.

Thanks for any input,
General Consensus: You need new friends...

OP
Jordan95

Jordan95

2+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
I didn't realize there would be this much information on the web regarding D.O vs M.D. I'm reading a **** ton of articles as I write this.

Thanks,

dwgrubbs1s

2+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student
There are plenty of DO ER physicians and DO surgeons. I am not sure where your friends got their information from, but I have worked in and out of hospitals the past several years. I can assure you they most definitely exist, and there are plenty of them. Also, like others have said, google the information. There is plenty of information on DO residency and career options on the web.

kelminak

7+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2012
Status
Medical Student

68PGunner

Thanks for any input,
Your friend is right. You're pretty pretty doomed to Family Medicine as a DO. Keep gunning for that MD year after year. It's worth it in the end.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
About 5% of my grads end up in General Surgery. It's about 2-3x that for MD schools. Must be something about surgeons.

For EM, about 7% of my kids have gone that route.

Thanks for any input,

Reactions: DetectiveAlonzo

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
About 40% of my grads go into specialties.

Nationwide, about a third of DOs specialize.

Your friend is right. You're pretty pretty doomed to Family Medicine as a DO. Keep gunning for that MD year after year. It's worth it in the end.

Reactions: DetectiveAlonzo

kelminak

7+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2012
Status
Medical Student
About 40% of my grads go into specialties.

Nationwide, about a third of DOs specialize.
I don't think his sarcasm was dripping enough. He's trying to throw off someone who isn't willing to do any Google-research of their own first.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Alas, sarcasm doesn't travel well over the Internet!

I don't think his sarcasm was dripping enough. He's trying to throw off someone who isn't willing to do any Google-research of their own first.

Marrowist

Bone Boy
2+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I wish I could come back and read this forum 100 years from now... what a trip.

CCmetal94

2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
I worked at a level 1 trauma center and half the ER docs were DO's. I now work at a small rural ER and a DO runs the place (still about half MD/DO). Geography is important though. I'm a Missouri resident so it's not uncommon to find DOs in many competitive specialties (Ortho, Optho, etc.)

Reactions: dwgrubbs1s

dwgrubbs1s

2+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I worked at a level 1 trauma center and half the ER docs were DO's. I now work at a small rural ER and a DO runs the place (still about half MD/DO). Geography is important though. I'm a Missouri resident so it's not uncommon to find DOs in many competitive specialties (Ortho, Optho, etc.)
Same here, from the southeastern region of Missouri. Pretty rural for the most part but DO's in ER and surgery are very common. However, my lack of nationwide healthcare exposure may mislead me to believe that DO's have a decent shot of getting into those fields.

cyang55

2+ Year Member
May 16, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Same here, from the southeastern region of Missouri. Pretty rural for the most part but DO's in ER and surgery are very common. However, my lack of nationwide healthcare exposure may mislead me to believe that DO's have a decent shot of getting into those fields.
You're definitely not mislead. You can find DOs in every specialty out there. Even if DOs and MDs have the same chances, you'll still see less DOs purely on the fact that there are less DO schools and less DO graduates per year, compared to their MD counterparts. However, some places there are more bias towards DOs, so realistically DOs and MDs don't have the same chances (if everything else was the same, board scores, ECs, etc) in EVERY hospital or place people apply residencies to. The gap is slowly closing though, and the very biased (normally older doctors) are slowly retiring and with the merge of residencies soon, people will slowly realize that there isn't a big difference after all.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
ER is moderately competitive for both MD and DO grads. General surgery is more competitive by a good margin on both the MD and DO side, with it being pretty difficult to enter as a DO. We usually have 1 ACGME GS matches per year, and maybe 1 or 2 AOA matches, while around 15-18 people go into EM, half of them on the ACGME side.

Reactions: hallowmann and Goro

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
ER is moderately competitive for both MD and DO grads. General surgery is more competitive by a good margin on both the MD and DO side, with it being pretty difficult to enter as a DO. We usually have 1 ACGME GS matches per year, and maybe 1 or 2 AOA matches, while around 15-18 people go into EM, half of them on the ACGME side.
Eh I'm still not convinced GS is that much more competitive. For ACGME multiple DOs who have matched there tell me if you have above a 230 then you have a decent shot, and for AOA the average COMLEX score is like a 499 for the most recent data. Auditions are much more important. GS is one field where I really don't see that many MDs applying to former AOA spots due to the large amount of ACGME spots available so it will still be fairly open for the slightly above average DO. It won't be like MDs where whoever wants GS basically gets it, but I doubt it will become nearly as competitive as other fields. It's probably really only slightly above EM in competitiveness, so solid mid-tier in the competitive spectra.

I think a large percentage of the DO population are adverse to the brutality of residency and lifestyle afterwards, regardless of their desires when they started med school.

OP
Jordan95

Jordan95

2+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
I'm still worried about matching into a decent program. Don't want to be in FM. Really like working with my hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I'm still worried about matching into a decent program. Don't want to be in FM. Really like working with my hands.

If you apply yourself and succeed on your COMLEX and/or STEP exams you will be fine as a DO. You may not do an Orthopedic residency at Johns Hopkins, but most MDs don't do that.

It is a blatant misconception that you will be limited to ONLY FM in rural Wyoming. In my home town there are DO surgeons, Immunologists, orthopedic surgeons and two facial plastic surgeons. All DO.

Many DO students go into primary care, not because they are forced, but because it's what they are interested in. I specifically want to do IM, so it is no loss to me whether I do MD or DO.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: GBCrzzyy

bon22

2+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student
What are my chances of getting into neonatal geriatrics as a DO? Benjamin Button really interests me.
/sarcasm

Reactions: Ho0v-man

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I have friends who are in neurosurg, ortho, anesthesiology, EM, radiology, and--hey!--they're all DOs. Conversely, I have friends who are in family med, peds, and ob/gyn who are all MDs. Work hard, score well on your boards, do research, and show that you're hungry when you're on rotations. You're not condemned to family med -- you're condemned to what YOU are ultimately qualified for. But, that has less to do with the school and more to do with caliber of the individual student.

Reactions: Scrubs101

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Dude, FM docs that do procedures abound. Joint injections, derm procedures, seriously, there's tons. In any case, you'll be fine. EM is pretty DO friendly, but moderately competitive in general (and getting more competitive, its crazy, everyone wants to do EM). GS will be harder, but there are also 981724 more types of docs you can be that "work with their hands".

irJanus

Falling into a burning ring of fire
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
JPS has 8 DO's in their EM program which is a pretty solid level 1 trauma center. I have heard of a DO being a neurosurgeon also!

EM is very DO friendly overall. I'm a DO, faculty now at an ACGME program. I have a few buddies at JSP as well. And my class matched a guy to ACGME NSGY. The merged match will shake the snow globe up with a lot of this, but not so much with EM. :)