EM/Peds or EM then Peds ER fellowship for rural?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nowonder

Dr, lover, runner, policy wonk
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting school this fall and starting to think about (way too early, I know) plans. I'll throw this question out if anyone has an opinion.

I've got an interest in EM, volunteered in a Level I for two years, so I kind of know what I'm looking at. What I think I'd like to do after training is do locum tenens and bounce around rural areas for a few years. (That may or may not be the best idea, but out of scope for this discussion).

My thought is this: To have the most options, and to be of most use in a rural setting, I should have both an EM and Peds background. In an ideal world, would it be better to do a combined EM/Peds residency or EM then Peds ER fellowship? I don't really intend to work at a dedicated Children's ED and certainly don't see myself in academia, but I wonder if the fellowship would make more prepared to treat acute peds patients in an emergent case. But I wonder if I'm board certified in Peds, if I'm going to end up being sucked in to covering peds patients and away from the ED.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have any interest in ever being a Pediatrician do EM/peds combined. If you want to be subspecialty boarded in peds ER, ie, be a peds ER doctor, then do ER then peds ER fellowship. They are 2 different pathways now, and I don't think you can get Peds ER boarded by doing a pediatrics residency and "grandfathering in", anymore (peds EM docs please clarify).

By the way, if you want to be an ER doc in a rural setting, not only do you not need to have a peds/ER fellowship, you don't even have to be board certified in Emergency Medicine. IM or FP will suffice in some rural hospitals due to the severe national ER physician shortage (~40%).

If you have any interest in ever being a Pediatrician do EM/peds combined. If you want to be subspecialty boarded in peds ER, ie, be a peds ER doctor, then do ER then peds ER fellowship. They are 2 different pathways now, and I don't think you can get Peds ER boarded by doing a pediatrics residency and "grandfathering in", anymore (peds EM docs please clarify).

By the way, if you want to be an ER doc in a rural setting, not only do you not need to have a peds/ER fellowship, you don't even have to be board certified in Emergency Medicine. IM or FP will suffice in some rural hospitals due to the severe national ER physician shortage (~40%).

Pediatricians can still do a Peds EM fellowship (2 years?) while an EM/Peds program will require significant training in adult EM.

If your goal is both Peds and Peds EM, the Peds//>PEM path is probably a better route (training time is the same). But if you want to do EM with a Peds focus, I agree that EM/Peds is the way to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellowships are not the end-all-be-all that those in academia make them out to be.

If you want to work in the ED, do a residency in EM. If you decide you love working with children to the point that you want to work at a Children's hospital, do a Ped-EM fellowship afterwards. But you certainly don't need it - you will get exposure to pediatrics as part of residency. And yes, you will get enough.

I'm not technically "rural," although I do practice in a small town. (Or am I? There are a lot of cows here... anyway...) My hospital does not admit children under the age of 5 at all, or anyone under the age of 18 who requires oxygen/monitoring, so we ship 99% of our peds cases that need to be admitted. You get used to it. Stabilize, ship. Certainly doesn't take a fellowship-trained doc to do that.

"Um, hi, Ivory Tower Transfer Center? This is Dr. Me at Podunk General. I have a RSV+ 9 month old satting 90% on 1L, will you accept?"

Doing a fellowship if you don't intend to specialize in that area or stay in academics is a waste of, oh, lets just say, lots of money you could be making as an attending.

Just my 2c

Pediatricians can still do a Peds EM fellowship (2 years?) while an EM/Peds program will require significant training in adult EM.

If your goal is both Peds and Peds EM, the Peds//>PEM path is probably a better route (training time is the same). But if you want to do EM with a Peds focus, I agree that EM/Peds is the way to go.

Peds EM fellowship after peds residency is 3 years. So 6 years total. For me personally I always knew I wanted to work in emergency medicine but I also knew I only wanted to work with kids--so the Peds + PEM route made the most sense for me. I'm finishing up my fellowship this year and I'm glad I did it this way.

For your question, like others have said, if you can ever see yourself wanting to work as a general pediatrician, I would say do Peds/EM combined residency. Otherwise do EM + PEM fellowship (2 years if going this route)--but I would really only recommend doing this if you want to work in a dedicated children's hospital. For what you're describing (wanting to work in a rural area), you would probably be better off just picking an EM residency with very good peds exposure/experience and go with that.

"Um, hi, Ivory Tower Transfer Center? This is Dr. Me at Podunk General. I have a RSV+ 9 month old satting 90% on 1L, will you accept?"

:laugh:

I'm not sure I could not laugh, if I was on the receiving end...of course, I would understand where you are coming from and accept, but I will still laugh.

Just reading that is funny.

HH

One of our attendings figured out how to call our 'bat phone' (EMS only access for major medical/trauma) and will frequently call with BS to F with us. If I heard your requested transfer, I think my response would be::laugh: followed by "F off, Dr. .....". :p

HH

OP: if you want to do rural EM, do an EM residency. No more discussion.

HH

OP: if you want to do rural EM, do an EM residency. No more discussion.

HH

Great advice, I appreciate it. So follow-up: Are there programs you're aware of that have have a strong rural component? (probable answer: One in a rural area, duh.)

Peds EM fellowship after peds residency is 3 years. So 6 years total. For me personally I always knew I wanted to work in emergency medicine but I also knew I only wanted to work with kids--so the Peds + PEM route made the most sense for me. I'm finishing up my fellowship this year and I'm glad I did it this way.

For your question, like others have said, if you can ever see yourself wanting to work as a general pediatrician, I would say do Peds/EM combined residency. Otherwise do EM + PEM fellowship (2 years if going this route)--but I would really only recommend doing this if you want to work in a dedicated children's hospital. For what you're describing (wanting to work in a rural area), you would probably be better off just picking an EM residency with very good peds exposure/experience and go with that.

Can you get board certified in Emergency Medicine by doing a peds residency then PEM fellowship? Just curious.

Great advice, I appreciate it. So follow-up: Are there programs you're aware of that have have a strong rural component? (probable answer: One in a rural area, duh.)

Emergency medicine is emergency medicine. Go to the best program you can get into. You all read the same book.

Can you get board certified in Emergency Medicine by doing a peds residency then PEM fellowship? Just curious.

No, you'd be boarded in Pedi EM, and Peds, but not adult EM. You couldn't working in an adult ED with that training.

Do Peds/PEM folks generally switch to a straight PEM practice or do they continue doing general pediatrics to some extent?

In a rural setting you have to be able to see adults. Strictly Peds EM is children's hospital/dedicated Peds ED niche- which for the most part doesn't exist in rural settings. If you want to work in a rural area do an EM residency and then a peds EM fellowship if you want the added peds experience. However, I feel most EM residencies provide sufficient experience to feel confident with most peds emergencies...that said, peds codes are always sphincter tightening...no way around it.

Many rural hospitals cannot attract EM trained physicians. They would have no idea what to do with a peds-EM doctor. It'd be like applying to become a barista at Starbucks after finishing med school.

Do Peds/PEM folks generally switch to a straight PEM practice or do they continue doing general pediatrics to some extent?

The hospital group I work with has almost 30 PEM docs--none (as far as I know) are still involved in general pediatrics to any significant degree. Several came to a PEM career after doing general peds for awhile (they did a fellowship after practicing in gen peds). It (gen peds practice) could be a nice fallback, I guess, if one gets tired of working nights as they get older. But the salary trade-off is pretty significant. I can't see myself doing it (I can't stand gen peds clinic), but yet I'm still planning to keep up my general peds certification (just in case...) and I think many of my colleagues do as well.

The hospital group I work with has almost 30 PEM docs--none (as far as I know) are still involved in general pediatrics to any significant degree. Several came to a PEM career after doing general peds for awhile (they did a fellowship after practicing in gen peds). It (gen peds practice) could be a nice fallback, I guess, if one gets tired of working nights as they get older. But the salary trade-off is pretty significant. I can't see myself doing it (I can't stand gen peds clinic), but yet I'm still planning to keep up my general peds certification (just in case...) and I think many of my colleagues do as well.

This is my experience as well. I've seen a couple 'retire' into gen peds, but most are doing PEM and not general practice. Most I know couldn't stand working in an office. Not to mention your schedule could be very difficult on you and your partners. You'd have to work night shifts and a certain number of clinic days; believe me when I say you don't recover from night shifts all that easily as you get older.

On the other hand, PEM sees a LOT of general peds issues, so you are still seeing a lot of well kids, constipation, otitis, and keeping up your cert in gen peds is a good idea.

This is my experience as well. I've seen a couple 'retire' into gen peds, but most are doing PEM and not general practice. Most I know couldn't stand working in an office. Not to mention your schedule could be very difficult on you and your partners. You'd have to work night shifts and a certain number of clinic days; believe me when I say you don't recover from night shifts all that easily as you get older.

On the other hand, PEM sees a LOT of general peds issues, so you are still seeing a lot of well kids, constipation, otitis, and keeping up your cert in gen peds is a good idea.

Yes...for better or for worse, the peds ED oftentimes becomes like one big peds urgent care, and on especially painful days I end up having to address lots of primary care issues like behavior, obesity, immunization refusers, and so on. For the most part I try to refer people back to their PMD, but sometimes you can't avoid the conversations. It's a good reminder of why I did fellowship!