EM progs in Pennsylvania, esp Philly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DIVA01

*** Extraordinaire
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me the lowdown on the EM programs in Pennsylvania, esp in Philly

Are there any programs outside of Pennsylvania that you can commute to from Philly

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For your first question, check out FRIEDA. Search for EM in PA and you'll see which ones are in Philly.

Second question, you could commute from Philly to Christiana in DE, but that'd be a very un-fun drive when you're post-call. That being said, Christiana has some of the best facilities I saw on the interview trail and depending on your personal circumstances it might be worth it to you.

thanks for the info on christiana.

i know which programs are in penn, I just need more information about them.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a UPenn, Thomas Jefferson, and I think a Drexel review. Read those. UPenn impressed me very much, TJU not so much only because trauma was at Cooper in Jersey and Peds at DuPont in Deleware. Lots of people have mentioned Temple being one of the better programs in Philly, which you can easily find by doing a search. Pitt may be the best program in Pennsylvania though.

Don't forget Cooper over the river in Camden. It's very easy to live in Philly and commute there. I go to school in Philly and looked at most of the local programs, so if you have specific questions, PM me and I'll try my best to answer them.

Can anyone give me the lowdown on the EM programs in Pennsylvania, esp in Philly

Are there any programs outside of Pennsylvania that you can commute to from Philly

Thanks!

Oh, since I mentioned Cooper, you could check that out as a place to commute to as well.

Don't forget Cooper over the river in Camden. It's very easy to live in Philly and commute there. I go to school in Philly and looked at most of the local programs, so if you have specific questions, PM me and I'll try my best to answer them.

Beat me to it :)

The good news about Philly is that all of their programs are solid. UPenn's more academic than the rest.

I'm a Temple grad, so I'm biased. Great residency, hard core trauma/medical exposure, peds at CHOP, great chair/PD, decent schedule.

Lehigh Valley Hospital is about an hour north of philly. They have been an AOA program for several years with 48 total residents (4 year program). I know they were just granted ACGME accredidation and are also trying to get funded for 4 more spots q year. I'm not sure how many they will be taking from each match next year, but its a fairly solid program at a level I trauma center.