SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

EM progs in Pennsylvania, esp Philly

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by DIVA01, Apr 20, 2007.

1. DIVA01

DIVA01 *** Extraordinaire 10+ Year Member

Aug 6, 2001
    East Lansing, Michigan
    Can anyone give me the lowdown on the EM programs in Pennsylvania, esp in Philly

Are there any programs outside of Pennsylvania that you can commute to from Philly

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door Physician 10+ Year Member

For your first question, check out FRIEDA. Search for EM in PA and you'll see which ones are in Philly.

Second question, you could commute from Philly to Christiana in DE, but that'd be a very un-fun drive when you're post-call. That being said, Christiana has some of the best facilities I saw on the interview trail and depending on your personal circumstances it might be worth it to you.

4. DIVA01

DIVA01 *** Extraordinaire 10+ Year Member

Aug 6, 2001
    East Lansing, Michigan
    thanks for the info on christiana.

i know which programs are in penn, I just need more information about them.

5. Sweet Tea

Try the interview feedback thread for reviews.

6. SoCuteMD

SoCuteMD 10+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2005
    No more rounding!
    I was just about to say that :p

7. Sweet Tea

great minds and all ;)

8. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best! 10+ Year Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    There is a UPenn, Thomas Jefferson, and I think a Drexel review. Read those. UPenn impressed me very much, TJU not so much only because trauma was at Cooper in Jersey and Peds at DuPont in Deleware. Lots of people have mentioned Temple being one of the better programs in Philly, which you can easily find by doing a search. Pitt may be the best program in Pennsylvania though.

9. chaiya

chaiya

Sep 15, 2006
    Don't forget Cooper over the river in Camden. It's very easy to live in Philly and commute there. I go to school in Philly and looked at most of the local programs, so if you have specific questions, PM me and I'll try my best to answer them.

10. SolidGold

Jan 8, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Oh, since I mentioned Cooper, you could check that out as a place to commute to as well.

11. SolidGold

Jan 8, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Beat me to it :)

12. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Wisconsin
    There's also Einstein in Philly. A four year program. Solid.

Q

13. beyond all hope

beyond all hope Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2003
    The good news about Philly is that all of their programs are solid. UPenn's more academic than the rest.

I'm a Temple grad, so I'm biased. Great residency, hard core trauma/medical exposure, peds at CHOP, great chair/PD, decent schedule.

14. WestcoastMedicine

WestcoastMedicine Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 6, 2004
    New York
    Lehigh Valley Hospital is about an hour north of philly. They have been an AOA program for several years with 48 total residents (4 year program). I know they were just granted ACGME accredidation and are also trying to get funded for 4 more spots q year. I'm not sure how many they will be taking from each match next year, but its a fairly solid program at a level I trauma center.

15. docB

docB Chronically painful Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV