EM ? regarding night shifts

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by calidude, Mar 19, 2002.

1. calidude

calidude New Member

Just trying to learn more about various specialties here...

Does anybody know how many night shifts a fresh-out-of-residency EM physician can expect to take per month (or week)? I know that this varies depending on where you practice and all, but I'm just looking for ballpark numbers here.

Thanks for any info you might have.

2. focker

focker Member
    7+ Year Member

From what I understand, 2/3 of an EM doc's shifts are on nights or weekends, because that's when most people show up in the ER. Many docs work 15 12-hour shifts per month, but this varies a lot and many hospitals are very flexible in terms of scheduling. Based on this, one might expect to work 8-10 nights per month.

3. mcwmark

mcwmark Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It will vary depending on your situation, but as an example, as an academic EP at our institution, one usually works about 1-5 overnight (11pm to 8am) shifts per month. Of course, realize that you also have 2 residents with you at all times, but it is a fairly busy ED.

There are twice as many (2 attendings, 4 residents) in the ED during daytime hours, including up to 11pm (do you consider that nights?).

As for weekends, I'd count on working (part of at least) two of the four per month.