EM Research as a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xpanchox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I've been accepted to a DO school in California and will be attending this fall.
I'm currently interested in pursuing emergency medicine, and was wondering if there were opportunities for EM research as a DO student. I'm assuming that big academic medical centers such as UCLA, USC, UCSD, UCI, UC Davis, UCSF, Stanford, etc, do EM research, I'm afraid that they reserve their research positions to the students that attend their own medical schools.

I ask this because I've read that a handful of medical students (MD and DO) do research the summer between their first and second years in order to be more competitive when applying to residencies.

Since I would like to apply to an ACGME EM residency (preferrably in California), I'd like to focus on getting in some research during medical school. If it helps, I have 3 publications in an unrelated field (orthopedic surgery) and 3 years of research experience.

Would anyone be able to provide some insight? Since I am only a mere pre-med, I know that you guys as medical students know the process a lot better than I do.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,

I've been accepted to a DO school in California and will be attending this fall.
I'm currently interested in pursuing emergency medicine, and was wondering if there were opportunities for EM research as a DO student. I'm assuming that big academic medical centers such as UCLA, USC, UCSD, UCI, UC Davis, UCSF, Stanford, etc, do EM research, I'm afraid that they reserve their research positions to the students that attend their own medical schools.

I ask this because I've read that a handful of medical students (MD and DO) do research the summer between their first and second years in order to be more competitive when applying to residencies.

Since I would like to apply to an ACGME EM residency (preferrably in California), I'd like to focus on getting in some research during medical school. If it helps, I have 3 publications in an unrelated field (orthopedic surgery) and 3 years of research experience.

Would anyone be able to provide some insight? Since I am only a mere pre-med, I know that you guys as medical students know the process a lot better than I do.

Thanks in advance!

Most of those big name UCs probably have research electives that you can apply to, but you should email them first to see if they accept DOs at all for the elective to save yourself some time. But EM residency programs are actually one of the few programs where doing research isn't nearly as important as the other factors in your application, namely your SLORs (Standardized Letter of Recommendation). Do the research if it interests you, but don't expect it to make you a shoo-in for a residency, especially as a DO applicant applying to California. Out of all the ACGME EM programs in California, only one (Kern) has taken more than 1 DO in the past 5 years.

Also, it's extremely premature for you to be worrying about what's going to happen between years 1 and 2 of med school, haha. Things you can do during the first 2 years of med school that will help your application: do well in pre-clinical coursework, focus on getting a kickass Step 1 score, and get involved in your school's EM Interest Group club. Worry about research later :)

If you're going to be attending WesternU there are some opportunities to get involved in research and shadowing. Join the EMIG when you get here and you'll be filled in, or feel free to PM me (assuming you are going to WesternU). If you're going to Touro I have no idea what they're up to, maybe someone else can chime in.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're going to be attending WesternU there are some opportunities to get involved in research and shadowing. Join the EMIG when you get here and you'll be filled in, or feel free to PM me (assuming you are going to WesternU). If you're going to Touro I have no idea what they're up to, maybe someone else can chime in.

I'm going out on a limb here but it sound like you may be attending WesternU and if you are they do have research opportunities for their students.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Definitely a lot of information that you guys covered, and I will keep in mind when I start OMS-1 this fall.

I'm actually going to Touro, but I'm waitlisted at Western.

I'd be torn between the two schools if I get off the waitlist at Western since I'm from LA and Western is only 45 minutes away...

I discovered that there are two faculty members at the UCLA-Olive View EM department that are DOs, who are also Western grads also!

Out of all the ACGME EM programs in California, only one (Kern) has taken more than 1 DO in the past 5 years...

UCSF Fresno currently has 2 DOs and USC has taken 2 in the last 5 years (one just graduated, one currently in the program). Kern has 6 DO EM residents at the moment. Also, UC Davis has 1 and UCLA Olive View has DO faculty (but no residents, maybe someone will match this year?). It's not a COMPLETELY lost cause to be a DO and aspire to score a CA ACGME residency :)

I just finished interviewing for EM and was never once asked about my research experience. My thoughts, if you're going into EM don't worry so much about research. Just do well on Step 1, take Step 2 early, do audition rotations and do well, get good SLORS, etc.

I just finished interviewing for EM and was never once asked about my research experience. My thoughts, if you're going into EM don't worry so much about research. Just do well on Step 1, take Step 2 early, do audition rotations and do well, get good SLORS, etc.

What about pre-clinical grades? Are those a big deal?

Heh, you are my brother (or sister) from another mother.. I'm from Southern California, went to WesternU, had orthopedic research out of Harbor-UCLA/LABioMed as a pre-med.

Few things..

If you want to do research as a medical student, you shouldn't have any shortage of opportunities. If you end up at WesternU, you can get involved with the EMIG there and do research at ARMC (or UCI, UCLA, USC, whatever). I can't speak specifically to Touro opportunities, but I'm sure if you talked to people at Highland, UCSF, etc.. they would be able to get you involved.

Having said that, it probably isn't going to matter much going into EM. When I interviewed, nobody asked about research. Instead, focus on rocking USMLE Step 1, getting awesome SLORs, and if you can rotate where you think you want to match.

Lastly, when the time comes don't limit yourself by only applying to programs in CA. It's great if that is where you want to go and you end up there, but don't count on it. California is competitive for -ALL- residency programs. EM is more competitive than most, so that just makes it that much more difficult. There are many great training programs throughout the country. The worst that can happen is you move somewhere you don't like all that much for 3 (or 4) years, then you move back after getting awesome training.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info/advice. Good luck!