EM research vs. EM rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPJ13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am beginning to attempt to put together my 4th year rotations for next year and want to know everyones thoughts on doing a EM research rotation vs. doing a EM rotation or a rotation in something else? I will for sure do at least two EM rotation (not including the one I did as a third year) but I didn't know if it would look better to do a ER research rotation in addition when appplying for residency's. I have research experince but nothing publishable. If anyone knows of any good EM research rotations please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say not worth it. Just doing research to get it on your resume probably is a waste of time. If YOU really want to do some research, do it. But one month as a student probably isnt a whole lot time for that and you have an entire career ahead of you in which to become involved in research. I'd vote for the EM rotation.

The only benefit I can see to 1 month of research is if it is "research" and is really an excuse for a flexible/light month to use for scheduling a bunch of interviews.

EM people are not too obsessed with research (this is based on my experience interviewing, but also backed up by the data in that NRMP report with all the graphs -- Charting Outcomes, I think?).