EM Residencies with "Scholarly Tracks" or "Areas of Concentration"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LobsterMan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just wondering which residencies out there have "scholarly tracks" or "areas of concentration" or something like that built into the curriculum. I have a nontraditional background, and am very interested in administration/operations.

So far, I have noted that UNC, Duke, and Johns-Hopkins have these elements built into their curriculum, which I find fascinating and enriching as a future EM physician.

UNC - "Areas of concentration" wherein you pick a track and are set up with resources and projects within that area to pursue throughout residency
Duke - "Scholarly tracks," same idea
Hopkins - "FAST," wherein you spend your 4th year in a mini-fellowship pursuing an academic interest ranging from medical law to adminstration and beyond

Members don't see this ad.

Northwestern, Michigan, Yale

maybe Brown (I can't remember)

I think GW has tracks as well, maybe Georgetown too.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have something like that at UMass, called 'distinction tracks.' It started last year. 1st year you sample them, then you choose a track 2nd year. It's essentially in our fellowship areas: toxicology, disaster medicine, EMS, ultrasound, administration, etc. I think it's a cool idea and gives you a bit of extra training in a specialized area.

All 3 year residencies have this--it's called the ability to do a fellowship if desired
Not a helpful answer. OP mentioned "built into the curriculum". Meaning, getting exposed to your interest over the 3/4 years via a "track system"...and who knows, maybe not choosing to pursue fellowship after. It's a legitimate Q and obviously being addressed by many progs.

UVA does it too.

Wow thanks for all the responses guys! Super helpful information for me. Does anyone care to elaborate on the above schools' track system, specifically UVA's (since I will interview there haha)?

Thanks!!