EM RESIDENCY DO/MD

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by spunkydoc, Jun 6, 2000.

1. spunkydoc

spunkydoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

ok guys--

i want to take the AOA and give it a good spanking--just when i think i have it all figured out that dern organization goes and messes it all up again.

my problem is that i am from pennsylvania--one of 5 states with the DO licensure rule..not wanting to have a problem in the future (yeah yeah--i've heard all about the AOA possibly dropping this rule in 2 yrs) i decided i will suck it up and do the internship b/c i also think it is very beneficial for EM..

however, i am not too hot on being in limbo for one year and have focused my sites on DO EM residencies with a special emphasis internship program in EM--there are only a few.

from those of you who have been through this heinous process--any ideas on what are the better DO EM programs? i am from the chicago school and know all about ours..i am currently rotating through MSU in lansing but they just dropped their special emphasis and are not participating in the new DO match rules..

secondly ( i know this is a long mesage), does anyone know which are the MD EM residencies (and DO ones for that matter) which accept you at the PGYII level..i know msu and st. lukes bethlehem do but that is all i have heard of.

thanks for all the help--

feel free to email me direct at [email protected]

a very frustrated student

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bucky

bucky Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

What is the DO licensure rule and what 5 states are involved?

4. spunkydoc

spunkydoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

the rule is that in order to be licensed in PA, MI, Arkansas, WV, and i forgot the last one, you have to complete a year of internship..

truth be told, for the majority of broad spectrum specialties, FP, EM, IM, even Sx, the internship makes you a better doc and i have seen it throw DOs head and shoulders above MD counterparts in skills and competence levels.

still, the rule is a bit gagging.

5. RBorhani

RBorhani Emergency Physician
    10+ Year Member

Osteopathic physicians are required to have completed an AOA-approved internship in order to be licensed in Florida, Michigan, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.

Currently there are no ACGME/MD programs that will give you credit for an osteopathic rotating internship unless the rotating internship is also accredited by ACGME as a transitional year (i.e. dully accredited programs)...and this is only for the four-year EM programs (about 1/4 of ACGME EM programs are four years and the rest are three years). If you are interested in one of the ACGME/MD EM programs that are three-year programs you will be at a disadvantage if you do the internship. This is because the program is only funded for three years of post-graduate training, by the government, and if they take you government will not fund most of your last year since you will be a pgy-4 in a pgy-3 program. This stuff gets very complicated. Best advice is to talk to the program director of an EM program both on the MD and the DO side.

I will be doing a three year EM program at a ACGME facility and I will not do the osteopathic internship which, if nothing changes, will prevent me from practicing in the five States listed above.

[This message has been edited by RBorhani (edited 06-07-2000).]

6. spunkydoc

spunkydoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

RB--
    this much i already know--just kinda wondering if there is some compiled list of em somewhere cuz i can't call every program in the country..there are only 2 dually accredited programs that i know of right now--albert eintstein/PCOM in philly, and msu here in lansing..there must be a list somewhere.

it is not just the 3 yr programs cutting DOs w/ internship yrs out, there are 4 yr programs as well now that i have run accross.

7. RBorhani

10+ Year Member

As I said in my previous post, this is because if they take you, they will not get funded for your last year. I.E. if the program is a four-year EM program you will be a pgy-five during your fourth year (if you have done an internship) and the program only gets full funding for pgy-fours during that year. This also prevents MD residents to come into EM as a first year if they have already done a year or more of post graduate training in another specialty.

List of EM programs:
    ACGME: http://www.saem.org/rescat/contents.htm

AOA: http://opportunities.aoa-net.org/residencies/emergencymed/emergencymed.htm

As far as I know there are currently no list that has the dully accredited internship/transitional year programs. The couple that I know of are: UHS in New York and Arrowhead in California.

8. Baby Doc

Baby Doc New Member

RBorhani, does this five-year rule apply also for other specialties? For example I want to do the rotating internship but I'm also thinking about doing an ACGME residency in Pediatrics. Would that put me at a disadvantage at the more competitive programs?

9. RBorhani

10+ Year Member

Yes it does. I was just using EM as an example. However, for primary care specialties you might be able to get the program to count your osteopathic internship as PGY-I...But I dont think you will be able to do this for Peds.

10. Detroit Rock City

10+ Year Member

Now, I know I would have loved the opportunity to go to a DO school over going to the carribean, but Listening to you guys and your various restrictions, and having gotten a ER spot, all I can say, is God Bless America!