Em residency, how much will score hurt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnBro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Del

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everybody! My first post, I'm a third year on rotations and just finished up my EM rotation and absolutely loved it. I truly feel like I've found what I can do everyday the rest of my career. I've heard that EM has become very competitive and I was wondering how much my comlex would hold me back from a residency. I got a 495 on it..... I know I will have good letters of rec and will at least be top half of my class but am worried because I missed that 500 mark. I am confident in my ability to work hard on auditions but would love to here from others on their experiences with Applying to emergency med residencies and what advice they may have. I look forward to any advice or info, thank you!

There is a ton of lit/data on this. 495 won't help at all; are you planning on taking or have taken USMLE? Have you decided on DO only?

Hey everybody! My first post, I'm a third year on rotations and just finished up my EM rotation and absolutely loved it. I truly feel like I've found what I can do everyday the rest of my career. I've heard that EM has become very competitive and I was wondering how much my comlex would hold me back from a residency. I got a 495 on it..... I know I will have good letters of rec and will at least be top half of my class but am worried because I missed that 500 mark. I am confident in my ability to work hard on auditions but would love to here from others on their experiences with Applying to emergency med residencies and what advice they may have. I look forward to any advice or info, thank you!
I think the average COMLEX score for EM currently isn't much higher than your score (probably around 510-520) because the latest available data is from 2012 which said the average was about 500 if I recall. If you apply smartly and broadly you should be fine IMO according to the available data.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the average COMLEX score for EM currently isn't much higher than your score (probably around 510-520) because the latest available data is from 2012 which said the average was about 500 if I recall. If you apply smartly and broadly you should be fine IMO according to the available data.
Actually the 2014 GME match report for AOA programs just came out http://www.aacom.org/reports-programs-initiatives/aacom-reports/special-reports.

EM COMLEX level 1 average = 513

Reactions: 1 users

It will hurt but EM is still doable. Auditions and improving on level 2 will help you

Reactions: 1 user