EM residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheEleventhReel

Dinkin flicka
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm a 2nd year osteopathic student very interested in EM as a career. I've read about it becoming more competitive over the last few years and was curious as to how that translates into board scores, GPA, etc., especially on the east coast. I know there are many more factors that help determine how a program will rank you, but I'd like to assess where I need to be with USMLE/COMLEX and GPA to be competitive. Oh, and so far I'm looking mainly at allo programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. I'm a 2nd year osteopathic student very interested in EM as a career. I've read about it becoming more competitive over the last few years and was curious as to how that translates into board scores, GPA, etc., especially on the east coast. I know there are many more factors that help determine how a program will rank you, but I'd like to assess where I need to be with USMLE/COMLEX and GPA to be competitive. Oh, and so far I'm looking mainly at allo programs.
Well, as a second year, you haven't taken Step 1 yet.

Do you plan on shooting for a 70-80%ile on your score?

At this point in your career, all one can tell you is to just do as well as you can. Its not like you have that much say in the matter of what you get on your scores anyways, and how you can influence them. So, study your butt off and do well, and then apply.

There are people who do well on the boards and match into EM, as well as those who don't match. There are people who do'nt do well on the boards and match into EM, and those who don't match.

EM is competitive but not impossible.

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, as a second year, you haven't taken Step 1 yet.

Do you plan on shooting for a 70-80%ile on your score?

At this point in your career, all one can tell you is to just do as well as you can. Its not like you have that much say in the matter of what you get on your scores anyways, and how you can influence them. So, study your butt off and do well, and then apply.

There are people who do well on the boards and match into EM, as well as those who don't match. There are people who do'nt do well on the boards and match into EM, and those who don't match.

EM is competitive but not impossible.

Q

I'm trying to be realistic. As much as I'd like to break 240, my hope is for 220. I know it varies b/t programs and people, but I was hoping for some kind of avg for those scores. I guess I just wanted reassurance that you don't have to rock step 1 to match at a competitive program. Thanks for the quick response. BTW Quinn, I was reading another thread about a book that you wrote? What's the title?