EM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeTheGipper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it varies from program to program, but I was wondering what the schedule was like for a resident in emergency medicine? I've seen a lot on other threads about medicine and surgery residencies and those seem to typically be a 5-6AM to 6-7PM with a fair amount of call. Just wondering what it was like as an emergency medicine resident.

Members don't see this ad.

8-12hr shifts, 3-5/wk. Check out the residency websites for more info as they vary widely.

8-12hr shifts, 3-5/wk. Check out the residency websites for more info as they vary widely.

What website is this? I would like to look up that information as well. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow, they treat you nice in cali. 3 12's or 5 8's . . . wow!

for me . . . after intern year (q4 call, other days 5ish to 5ish) . . . it's a rotating schedule of 2 days, 2 swings, 2 overnights, 1 day off, repeat . . . 4 days off per month.

for me . . . after intern year (q4 call, other days 5ish to 5ish) . . . it's a rotating schedule of 2 days, 2 swings, 2 overnights, 1 day off, repeat . . . 4 days off per month.

Pretty intense!

Wow, they treat you nice in cali. 3 12's or 5 8's . . . wow!

are those 8, 10 or 12 hour shifts?