EM salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen some posts in here that say that ER physicians make about $150/hr and their salary is around the low $200K. However, when I do some basic math, $150 hr x 45 hr/week = $6750 week x 48 weeks/year = $324,000 year. Am I missing something? Please no smart a$$ comments unless they are truly witty. Thanks all! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Ill summarize...

Botton line is most EPs work 1400-1800 hours per yr. So 32-36 hours per week. Salary is between 100 and 175 generally plus benefits. As southerndoc mentioned in another thread making $125 per hour with sweet benefits can be much better than say $150 per hour with less than stellar benefits. Bottom line is that based on most salary surveys like http://www.allied-physicians.com/salary_surveys/physician-salaries.htm have EM salaries in the 195K to 220K range not including benefits. Of course some places pay more, some way more like Georgia, Texas and Oklahoma. You will generally make less in Cali, Boston, and a few other places.. Hope this helps..

EctopicFetus said:
Ill summarize...

Botton line is most EPs work 1400-1800 hours per yr. So 32-36 hours per week. Salary is between 100 and 175 generally plus benefits. As southerndoc mentioned in another thread making $125 per hour with sweet benefits can be much better than say $150 per hour with less than stellar benefits. Bottom line is that based on most salary surveys like http://www.allied-physicians.com/salary_surveys/physician-salaries.htm have EM salaries in the 195K to 220K range not including benefits. Of course some places pay more, some way more like Georgia, Texas and Oklahoma. You will generally make less in Cali, Boston, and a few other places.. Hope this helps..

Thanks for the informative post. I am new to the forum and I am considering EM if I get into med school. I was unaware that ER docs only work on average 32-36 hrs a week. That's even better. 195-220K is more than I will ever need. I rather have the extra time with family, friends, and and my hobby (golf). What are the typical hours for residents, then? Thanks, again.

Members don't see this ad :)
deuist said:
I've heard about 65 hours a week. The In and Out Burger boasts alternating 80-hour hell weeks followed by 30-hour cush weeks.

FATTY MCFATTYPANTS!

J DUB said:
Thanks for the informative post. I am new to the forum and I am considering EM if I get into med school. I was unaware that ER docs only work on average 32-36 hrs a week. That's even better. 195-220K is more than I will ever need. I rather have the extra time with family, friends, and and my hobby (golf). What are the typical hours for residents, then? Thanks, again.

The hours for residents depends on what they are doing that month. While it is true you are an EM doc you have to learn trauma (usually 1 month) where you will likely work over 80 hours (work rules huh?) (at least that was my experience as a m3 when i did trauma, I worked 90-95 hours a week and my residents (both EM interns) worked more than I did. basically when you spend time outside of the ED you are like a regular resident on those services so you work like them. Of course most of your time is spent in the ED....so....

While in the ED the hours spent depends on the program. There are programs in NYC where you might work 22 out of 28 days and their shifts are 12 hours a pop. Throw in 5 hours a week for lecture. Usually schedules get easier as you progress. On the low end would be 22 shifts at 8 or 9 hours per shift. Each yr you usually "drop" a shift.. so 2nd yr would be 21 and 3rd yr would be 20.

Hope this helps.

EctopicFetus said:
Ill summarize...

So does this mean that an ER doc can work 64 hours per week (a bit more typical for an MD) and make twice as much?

Also, I followed your link, and maybe I'm just used to academic salaries in the midwest, but those numbers seem OUTRAGEOUSLY high!

sdnetrocks said:
So does this mean that an ER doc can work 64 hours per week (a bit more typical for an MD) and make twice as much?

Also, I followed your link, and maybe I'm just used to academic salaries in the midwest, but those numbers seem OUTRAGEOUSLY high!

Given that you work various shifts around the clock, the stress involved in constantly seeing seriously patients and the need to sleep, no you can't. Nobody I know works 64 clinical hours for long, they burn out. You can do it for a few years and make a big hole in your debt payment, but you usually make a big hole in oyour family life at the same time.

15-30 years ago, when everybody was short of E.P.s, the typical doc worked about 45 hours. Seems to be slipping downwards.

EctopicFetus said:
The hours for residents depends on what they are doing that month. While it is true you are an EM doc you have to learn trauma (usually 1 month) where you will likely work over 80 hours (work rules huh?) (at least that was my experience as a m3 when i did trauma, I worked 90-95 hours a week and my residents (both EM interns) worked more than I did. basically when you spend time outside of the ED you are like a regular resident on those services so you work like them. Of course most of your time is spent in the ED....so....

While in the ED the hours spent depends on the program. There are programs in NYC where you might work 22 out of 28 days and their shifts are 12 hours a pop. Throw in 5 hours a week for lecture. Usually schedules get easier as you progress. On the low end would be 22 shifts at 8 or 9 hours per shift. Each yr you usually "drop" a shift.. so 2nd yr would be 21 and 3rd yr would be 20.

Hope this helps.

Yes it does. Thanks. Basically, it sounds like once you get out of residency EM is a sweet deal if you enjoy that brand of medicine. I come from a corporate business background and I like the no call, no rounds, and shift work per hour deal with benefits. I also enjoy not having routine duties all the time. I like the "you don't know what's coming through the door" mentality. So, I will definitely keep EM in mind. It is my front runner going in (assuming I will get accepted somewhere.) Thanks all!

Keep in mind that it is often the shift work that gets you into our field, but it is usually the shift work that sends you out of it too. Many of those days "off" are spent sleeping from the constantly alternating day and night schedules we keep...