EM salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HiddenTruth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the avg salaries for EM docs postres? THanks

Members don't see this ad.

Variable depending on region and how many hours you want to work. Do a google search for EMergency Medicine and Salaries.

Q, DO (also, try looking at past threads, I created one that may help you a while ago)

I think currently a VERY rough average would be $200,000 out of residency, with quite a bit of variation depending on different factors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats alot. How come it pays so much? How much residency do you need?

Originally posted by Mew

3 years.

Originally posted by Mew

To 95% of the population that's a lot. That's not a lot if you're an orthopedic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or oral surgeon. Everything is relative.

As Quinn stated earlier, salaries vary according to geographic location. Having said that, I am pretty sure that the starting salary right after residency is somewhere around $120,000-135,000. With a few years experience it goes up to around $100/hour and sometimes more if you are willing to do administrative work along with clinical shifts. I also think it makes a difference if you work for an agency or @ as an in house doc for an institution.

Originally posted by AMMD
As Quinn stated earlier, salaries vary according to geographic location. Having said that, I am pretty sure that the starting salary right after residency is somewhere around $120,000-135,000. With a few years experience it goes up to around $100/hour and sometimes more if you are willing to do administrative work along with clinical shifts. I also think it makes a difference if you work for an agency or @ as an in house doc for an institution.

What part of the country are you talking about? Of my classmates, none of us started working at anything below 160K, and that one outlier at around 160K was working for an HMO with full benefits. Practically all of us started at around 180-200K. And it all depends on how much you're willing to work. Work more, make more. It took most of us zero years of experience to start at $100/hour or more, including positions in Texas, Florida, and Oregon.

I can think of no graduating EM resident who is willing to work for only $120K per year.

I have to agree with sessamoid on this. Of my friends and classmates most started at around $200K per year with some starting at substantially more than that. Granted for most of those that was only for salary and maybe malpractice. Benefits come out of their own pockets. A few are making in the 160-180K range but they are at HMO's or academic hospitals and get great benefits that are easily worth an additional 20-40K. I on the other hand am a researcher making about what I did as a resident but I moonlight in the ED for extra money and my wife has a real job

about how many hours / week are you talking about when you say a starting salary at ~$180-200k or whatever? because of course work more = paid more, but will someone be working a 40 hour workweek or an 80 hour one?

Originally posted by Sessamoid
Practically all of us started at around 180-200K.

Family practice what?

LOL

I know an EM doc who does 12/12's a month for roughly 200K.

I know another who does 16/12's for 175K.

Recurrent theme...all relative based on area, experience, and what those around you are making.

Originally posted by brats800
about how many hours / week are you talking about when you say a starting salary at ~$180-200k or whatever? because of course work more = paid more, but will someone be working a 40 hour workweek or an 80 hour one?

Everyone I know works less than 40 clinical hours per week. Most do 3-4 8-10 hour shifts per week. Anymore than that is quite draining plus we all have other interests outside of medicine.

180K @ 36h (three 12 hr shifts)/week. New York.

40 hours a wk??...i figured doctors worked thier a$$e$ off....i guess thats only during res?....what abt surgeons...onviously they're lifestle ive heard is not that great but roughly how many hrs do they wk?..is their incrs in salary simply compensated for the extra work they put in...(theoretically speaking)...thanks

Q, how come ure a dude and have a picture of this damn hot chik? jus wondering...:D

Originally posted by HiddenTruth
40 hours a wk??...i figured doctors worked thier a$$e$ off....i guess thats only during res?....what abt surgeons...onviously they're lifestle ive heard is not that great but roughly how many hrs do they wk?..is their incrs in salary simply compensated for the extra work they put in...(theoretically speaking)...thanks

i just got a headache reading your post... does it really make you type faster to cut out certain letters?

And only few know the "hiddentruth" about me.

Q, DO

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
i just got a headache reading your post... does it really make you type faster to cut out certain letters?

And only few know the "hiddentruth" about me.

Q, DO

Pls, q, ts mch ezr 2 typ w/o bnch f ltrs. + lgble 2.

To hddntrth: Can't tell you about surgeons, and I think the best you'll get from the EM board is people whose friends are cutters. The bottom line of surgery is that you are paid by the job - the more you're in the OR, the more you cut, the more you get paid.

Originally posted by Apollyon
Pls, q, ts mch ezr 2 typ w/o bnch f ltrs. + lgble 2.

:clap: Tru dat....perfectly understandable

Originally posted by grouptherapy
180K @ 36h (three 12 hr shifts)/week. New York.

I'm taking a new job. Similar work schedule, averaging three twelves per week in Los Angeles. Should come in around 200K per year with potential for significant growth if we do well. That's also with full benefits, health, dental, malpractice, 401K, partnership, etc.

Originally posted by HiddenTruth

i shadowed the top heart/lung transplant surgeon in my region (wisconsin) and he was in the O.R. at least 40 hours/week, in addition to working clinic, meetings and such...he did get paid REALLY well, but if ya ask me it isn't worth it. i want a life outside of medicine...and that many hours is really hard on the guy's family...