EM Sports Medicine...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoHotRightNow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gone this route/know anyone that has gone this route/looked into it for themselves?
What does the EM/sports med practice look like? Normal ER schedule with events coverage? Would it be possible for someone trained in the emergency room to find work in a sports med clinic or act as a team physician?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be hard to be a team physician for a professional sports team since the orthopods have a stronghold on it.

I'm surprised this route is still open to emergency physicians. Even more surprising, it's one of the certified subspecialties. The claim is that there aren't enough critical care or EMS trained EP's to warrant board certification, but there is enough need for sports medicine trained EP's to warrant board certification. For some reason I have a hard time believing there are more sports med EP's than there are EP's trained in other specialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do sports medicine from family practice, by the way. Duke has sports medicine fellowship (but no FP residency) for FPs.

There is a lot more business for sport's medicine than professional sports, especially in states like Texas which are barking-mad for high-school football. I imagine a sports medicine guy living in Lubbock could do very well for himself.