EM vs Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicine247

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my dilemma. I am a 4th year med student from a US school who is thinking about switching from Rads to EM. So far I have everything in my application for radiology (letters, personal statement, etc.). I have good grades with AOA and step 1 in the 250s. I am planning on doing my home EM rotation in a couple weeks to see if I want to make the switch for sure. I have always liked EM throughout med school but was swayed to radiology. I could see myself being happy in radiology but keep wondering if I am missing something. I am not the stereotypical radiologist who hates clinical medicine. ERAS opens in like 1.5 weeks. Should I apply to both? I know EM requires a SLOR. I have no away rotations in EM and my home school has no residency program. Could the SLOR come from the department chair or student coordinator? Would I have to wait until I got the SLOR to submit my ERAS app? How bad would it hurt me if I couldn't submit my app until October? Advice appreciated :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

No one can tell you what to apply in. I would do my Home EM rotation and try to get two SLORS from it. If you still feel that you wanna do EM after that, then just go for it. Even if you apply in october, I think youll be fine and get plenty of interview invites. Obviously the sooner the better, but a month late wont kill an application, especially with your record.

A few points... You have some SOUL searching to do that only YOU can answer. Is there ANYWAY that you can scramble around and do an away rotation ASAP??

If your home program IS NOT an EM residency, then they SHOULD NOT fill out a SLOR. This has been addressed multiple times; I have personally asked several PDs and done much research on this matter as I am a coordinator at a NON academic EM site. Even the SLOR website says to only fill out by academic programs... Now, you certainly can get an old fashioned LOR at your home which I would encourage to do so..

Applying early is the single best thing you can do to increased you chances of a great match. I would be careful delaying too much.

With your scores, honestly, you probably WILL match without a SLOR but I think a SLOR/academic EM rotation will open a few doors, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, give you an additional true month to experience EM and to make sure its your right choice....

Members don't see this ad :)
A few points... You have some SOUL searching to do that only YOU can answer. Is there ANYWAY that you can scramble around and do an away rotation ASAP??

If your home program IS NOT an EM residency, then they SHOULD NOT fill out a SLOR. This has been addressed multiple times; I have personally asked several PDs and done much research on this matter as I am a coordinator at a NON academic EM site. Even the SLOR website says to only fill out by academic programs... Now, you certainly can get an old fashioned LOR at your home which I would encourage to do so..

Applying early is the single best thing you can do to increased you chances of a great match. I would be careful delaying too much.

With your scores, honestly, you probably WILL match without a SLOR but I think a SLOR/academic EM rotation will open a few doors, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, give you an additional true month to experience EM and to make sure its your right choice....

This

How critical is it to get a SLOR? Is it a requirement at a lot of places?

How critical is it to get a SLOR? Is it a requirement at a lot of places?

Very critical and almost every residency program requires at least one. It's a way for program directors to objectively compare applicants just like a standardized test (hence the moniker standardized letter of recommendation). In addition, if you can get one from a more well known program/well known faculty member it will likely have more weight.

One important thing to remember is that it should only be filled out by either an EM program director or the medical student coordinator at that program since it requires answering questions about how you rank compared to other students that rotate at that facility (check out the SLOR on the CORD website to see what it contains).

Get your app submitted first day ERAS opens up for submissions. I don't think you should be penalized for deciding on EM late (but you may with highly selective prgms), You will get plenty of interviews with your scores. Explain your unique case during interviews. If you do end up getting SLORs or EM LORs upload them to ERAS as you get them. If you are still uncertain about Radiology, i would still apply to Radiology (more $$$$ for apps) and then you can withdraw your app if EM becomes more compelling. In my experience getting ERAS in first day gets you more flexibility with interview invites/scheduling. Good luck.