EM - Where to go (school/residency)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WOutAPulse

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Paramedic/FF and pasionate about EM. Undergrad seeking out prospective schools and residencies trying to find what is right for me.
What other, if any, subspecialties/double-board certifications are there besides EM-IM and EM-Peds? What programs have these combined studies?
Which residency program is most focused on emergency cardiology and/or cutting-edge emerg. care/research?
Does a med. school make a BETTER EP? Which med. school produces the most EP's in % of students and why? What makes the school more focused on EM? Or are the value of the specialites completely based on the residency program?
I'm considering Emory & MC of GA. With residency and Emory(Grady Memorial). Any other suggestions?
I'm trying to choose my path, then do what it takes to get there. All help is sincerely appreciated. Thank you.

------------------
EmrgncMedic*
FF/NREMT-Paramedic
Undergrad/"Gonnabe M.D."

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think schools focus on turning out Radiologists, Dermatologists, or even Emergency Physicians. Schools tend to have a primary care bent or not.

But if you're thinking about Emergency Medicine, then perhaps you should go to a school with a well-established ED and has the facilities to match.

For example, the University of Maryland has a great trauma center, and even if Maryland isn't Harvard, it's a great way to rub elbows with people who might ultimately choose you over some guy from Cambridge, MA.

But to choose a school based on one department is a little risky, since not every med student graduates med school wanting to do the same thing he initially thought of on being accepted.

Tim of New York City.

I'm also interested in EM, and have done some research on residency programs. Most of this info I got off MedSchool.com's forum. Somebody asked what the best EM residencies were, and six or seven med students responded. The programs most mentioned were: U. of Cincinnatti, Pittsburg, Indianapolis, Hennepin Co.(MN), Denver, Carolinas, U. of Colorado Health Sciences Center, UCLA-Harbor, and Maricopa.

I guess our best bet is too attend a school affiliated with one of those programs. So I've got my fingers crossed since I'm on Cincy's waiting list! Hope the info helped,