email about summer dental trip

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ak47

flossy flossy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I got this email and thought someone might be interested. I have no further information about the program - I haven't gone on it or know anyone involved but the contact info is there if you are interesting....

Hello -
I understand you all board members of University of Wisconsin's Pre-Dental Society. I am writing to see if you would able to pass this information along to the members of your Pre-Dental Society. Relaying this information to your members and helping to organize this trip would also reflect well on you all as a board, for this provides a wonderful opportunity for your organization to do something great for your pre-dental students.

A little about myself - I graduated from Dartmouth College last June. I am applying to Dental school this year and came across this great program. I am organizing the Pre-Dental Costa Rica/Nicaragua trip this year June 6th to June 18th (dates can be discussed). If a majority of the students would prefer to change the departure by a few days, that is fine (trip is 12 days). I know that these dates would still allow you to take summer courses, as I am sure many of you intend to do.

This trip is organized through VIDA (Volunteers for Intercultural and Definitive Adventures). VIDA is a wonderful nonprofit humanitarian volunteer organization that makes it possible for students to go to Costa Rica/Nicaragua and get hands on experience while the patients receive free medical and dental care.

Pre-Dental Students will learn…
• Wonderful World of Dentistry (one full day of dental orientation)
• Participate in manual dental cleanings of children and adults
• Participate in learning correct injection procedures and extractions
• Participate in patient assessment, education, and public health education
• Costa Rican and Nicaraguan Culture as well as Dental Health issues
• So much more!

The trip itself is rewarding and will give you 65 hours of truly hands-on medical or dental volunteer experience for your dental school application while helping the communities in Costa Rica and Nicaragua. This VIDA Adventure takes place from June 6th to June 18th and costs $1,695.00 (this money pays for all of the medical supplies, translators, bilingual medical staff, hotels, ground transportation, 2 Meals a day on clinic days and 1 Meal on non clinic days).

It does not include airfare, some excursions, spending money, airport exit tax, and any other meals not included. We will have 7 days of clinic experience and 2 days of recreation/free time to explore beautiful Costa Rica and Nicaragua. White water river rafting, Volcano, Canopy Tour are a few of our choices for our June trip! Don't miss this exciting opportunity to discover new cultures and gain invaluable experience. This trip needs to be organized by May 10, so please let me know as soon as possible if you are interested. If these dates do not work, there are also other trips offered later in June, and through the summer - let me know if you'd be interested in a later trip. I promise you will not regret spending the money to gain the incredible hands-on medical and dental experience you will receive by going on this trip.

For more information visit: www.vidavolunteertravel.org or email me at [email protected]if you are interested in this program (I am not affiliated with VIDA - I created this email to help me keep track of everything). I am doing this because I would like to do a trip for the first two weeks of June and I need to get at least 15 other interested students in order for them to create a trip! Please let me know what you think of this trip and whether or not you pass the information along to your members.

Thank you for reading all of this!

Marisa G. Origel
Dartmouth College '07

Members don't see this ad.

do you know anyone who has done this program or similar programs in the past? how do you find similar programs? the dates don't fit in too well with my school schedule for next year. this sounds like a great opportunity.

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome! As one of the Costa Rican Dentist working in the VIDA organization, we are excited to receive several students next week and I can assure you that a lot of effort is being put in to providing a dental camp you won`t forget..one day ofrientation (dental basics) followed by several days of hands on experience. I`ve been a dentis for 25 years and I like to teach...and learn because we never cease to learn from you...the students.

Where can we find out about other such service trips?