PharmyDude

Removed
Sep 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I just got an email from my undergrad saying my email account will be deactivated at the end of November, no if ands or buts. I already submitted pharmCAS and all supplementals with my orgininal email address. I even have been corresponding with schools regarding interviews with this email address, but still need to hear back from others. What a nightmare. Anybody ever have this happen?

I knew I should have used the yahoo one I made after graduating, but I was very fond of my school one. DAH! If I go back into pharmCAS and update email with schools get the update or would I have to contact them all directly (ugh)? My whole online life is tied to that email from the past 5 years. this blows. :(

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
I just got an email from my undergrad saying my email account will be deactivated at the end of November, no if ands or buts. I already submitted pharmCAS and all supplementals with my orgininal email address. I even have been corresponding with schools regarding interviews with this email address, but still need to hear back from others. What a nightmare. Anybody ever have this happen?

I knew I should have used the yahoo one I made after graduating, but I was very fond of my school one. DAH! If I go back into pharmCAS and update email with schools get the update or would I have to contact them all directly (ugh)? My whole online life is tied to that email from the past 5 years. this blows. :(
Sorry Dude, that sucks. <---Is what I would have said before pharmacy school.

I can see how that could be upseting for you. Let me see if I understand what you are saying: After November you will have lost your school issued email account and are concerned that all the schools you applied to will be unable to contact you. You would like to know you can do to prevent this from happening. Do I have that right? <---Is what I now know I should say.

OP
PharmyDude

PharmyDude

Removed
Sep 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
It's just one more inconvienent hassel among others.

Pharmassist

5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
Sorry Dude, that sucks. <---Is what I would have said before pharmacy school.

I can see how that could be upseting for you. Let me see if I understand what you are saying: After November you will have lost your school issued email account and are concerned that all the schools you applied to will be unable to contact you. You would like to know you can do to prevent this from happening. Do I have that right? <---Is what I now know I should say.
snerk
:laugh:

meimei29

You're as sweet as TT
10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2009
Chicago
Status
Pharmacy Student
While my account at my undergrad got cancelled, I still get e-mails forwarded to my new address. There may be a way for you to set up e-mail forwarding so that you still get e-mails from that e-mail address.. I'd contact the school that is deleting your e-mail account to see if this is true or not, though.

Hope things work out.. Good luck!!

Jun 9, 2009
Status
If I were you, I'd send an email using the school email address and inform all schools of your new email address. If you're going to use yahoo, pick something appropriate.

Something like DoeJohn @ yahoo.com would be ok.

May 8, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
If you still have access, set up a forwarding email!

Schools do not delete and reuse email addresses.

OP
PharmyDude

PharmyDude

Removed
Sep 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I still do have access. How do I set up a forwarding address? I have no clue.

Aug 22, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
I still do have access. How do I set up a forwarding address? I have no clue.
This may be somewhat costly but you could look into becoming an official alumni to your undergraduate school. I believe that most schools extend or give you your school email back for sentimental reasons and also giving you a 'link' to the school that you financially support.

So in short, ask if you donate money and become an alumni if they will 'give' you a school email as a result. Worth a shot, but again it could be costly since most people do this after they finish school.

OP
PharmyDude

PharmyDude

Removed
Sep 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I signed up for that, it was free, but they changed my email address, now there's @alumni in it. Would all my regular emails get forwarded to the new @alumni email?

meimei29

You're as sweet as TT
10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2009
Chicago
Status
Pharmacy Student
I signed up for that, it was free, but they changed my email address, now there's @alumni in it. Would all my regular emails get forwarded to the new @alumni email?
This is actually two accounts, at least at my school. They do not forward your undergrad email to alumni.

Unfortunately, we can't help you much as we don't know your school's system, but there should be a way to keep the current undergrad email which you have now and have that forward over. Try using Google, and Google your school's name along with "email forwarding." If not, try Project's recommendation and look for the IT contact at your school.

Aug 22, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
This is actually two accounts, at least at my school. They do not forward your undergrad email to alumni.

Unfortunately, we can't help you much as we don't know your school's system, but there should be a way to keep the current undergrad email which you have now and have that forward over. Try using Google, and Google your school's name along with "email forwarding." If not, try Project's recommendation and look for the IT contact at your school.
Yeah try to talk it out nicely with the IT at the school, they'll probably understand and I'm sure they'll be able to make an exception.

Good luck.