Email from Howard U?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imtiaz

i cant translate stupid
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else get an email from Howard U today from Ann Finney with this as the sole line of the email?:

This is a test to determine whether or not your email address is valid.

This has got to be a good thing right? They don't send out email rejections?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I got that too, but dont know what that means, since I didnt receive an interview so far.

yes i got that too. i wonder what is going on. has anyone called them?

imtiaz: 1) did you have a interview there?

i have a feeling that it might be a email rejection coming our way. i think this is a way for them to test our emails so that we cant later deny that we never got the rejection email.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didnt interview there. Do you think they reject via email? I'm trying to find the thread where it listed all the schools and their method of interview invite. I'm hoping Howard uses email invites and not snail mail ones? :)

Hey everyone,

I just got the same email today. At first, I was pretty excited thinking that an invite would be comming my way soon...but then I realized...hey I already have a snail mail rejection from them. It's weird, doesn't make any sense to me. I hope this info is helpful to others out there.

bacl0007

•••quote:•••Originally posted by C U in MD school:

i have a feeling that it might be a email rejection coming our way. i think this is a way for them to test our emails so that we cant later deny that we never got the rejection email.•••••That's a great way of looking at it C U in MD School :wink: , you never know.....I can tell you that it saves them from the cost of stamp postage and envelopes.

I didn't get this email though, funny enough, but I did just get an interview invite this past week scheduled for mid/late march. :clap:

•i have a feeling that it might be a email rejection coming our way. i think this is a way for them to test our emails so that we cant later deny that we never got the rejection email.•••••Alternatively, it could be a way for them to test your emails so that you don't miss an interview invite.

I got the same email. At first I was like "oh, whatever..its just a test email." But then my mind starting thinking deeper and deeper...until I convinced myself that it might be because they want to invite me for an interview sometime soon and are double-checking to see that I actually get the invitation for interview.....wishful thinking i tell ya... :)

DOCTORSAIB

•yes i got that too. i wonder what is going on. has anyone called them?

imtiaz: 1) did you have a interview there?

i have a feeling that it might be a email rejection coming our way. i think this is a way for them to test our emails so that we cant later deny that we never got the rejection email.•••••I called them last week and the lady I spoke to was not very friendly (I guess I interrupted her solitaire game or something). I was told that they are mailing letter out right now. Anyway, these HBCs have not been showing me any love. Oh well... :cool:

Did anyone get a response from their reply to the email?

Did you get another email today with a word document attached to it saying:

------
March 8, 2002

RE: NOTIFICATION OF APPLICATION REVIEW
Dear Applicant:
I am writing to inform you that we have received and reviewed your AMCAS application. Secondary applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received. Interviews are currently being conducted, and we expect to continue interviewing through the end of April, but no later than the end of May. If we are able to invite you to the College of Medicine for an interview with one of our Admissions Committee members, we will inform you of available dates in writing. Please do not contact the Office of Admissions to request an interview.
Applicants who have completed the application process, and who have not received an invitation to interview by May 31 should receive written notification of a final decision on or before August 30. Please forward all correspondence directly to the Office of Admissions, to insure that it becomes part of your application file.
We will consider applications with MCAT scores from 1999 through 2002 ONLY, that is, scores not more than three years old at the end of the current application year, 2002. Letters of recommendation must be dated during the application year 2001-2002, unless you are a reapplicant and have requested that we consider your letters of recommendation from the prior year?s application, 2000-2001. You will receive no further correspondence regarding letters of recommendation or MCAT scores, so please review your materials to be sure they are sufficiently current.
Due to the large volume of applications, if we are not able to invite you to the College of Medicine for an interview, you will receive no further correspondence from our office regarding an interim status.
We appreciate your patience, and thank you for your interest in the College of Medicine.
Sincerely,
Dawn L. Cannon, M.D.
Assistant Dean for Student Affairs and Admissions
------

also, ann finney said we could fax add'l information? i hope this is good!!!!!

this is the famous "you are on the bubble, tell us why you really want to go here" email and address from Dean Cannon.

If you want to go there and will attend, then you do whatever you can after this point to let them know that. Additional recs are good. A faxed letter indicating renewed interest in the school and reasons for it.

That is one way of looking at this situation.

Yeah, I got that attachment too. Mannn....and all this time i was hoping for an interview. At least they recommended faxing supporting material which i hope means "we'll have an easier time keeping track of the paper work since we're notorious for losing things, being disorganized and then being rude to students inquiring about their application!" Anyone not with me on this one?

DOCTORSAIB

Did you interview at Howard? If you did, did you end up getting in?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by futrfysician:
•this is the famous "you are on the bubble, tell us why you really want to go here" email and address from Dean Cannon.

If you want to go there and will attend, then you do whatever you can after this point to let them know that. Additional recs are good. A faxed letter indicating renewed interest in the school and reasons for it.

That is one way of looking at this situation.•••••

Did you also get the second email that DoctorSaib and I recieved?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by bacl0007:
•Hey everyone,

I just got the same email today. At first, I was pretty excited thinking that an invite would be comming my way soon...but then I realized...hey I already have a snail mail rejection from them. It's weird, doesn't make any sense to me. I hope this info is helpful to others out there.

bacl0007•••••

I received both emails, 1 day apart. Same day as receiving 2nd email I finally received post card confirming my application was complete (had everything there in October).....

and, futrfysician, I'd also like to know if what you stated is correct or just speculation??????

last question, does anyone know what % of interviewees are accepted at Howard

....thanks.....
carpe

Yeah, I got the second email as well with the word document attachment. It said that I could send them additional information if I wanted to, but please don't call.... I think the first email was a test email for the second email. I hate it when they play with our emotions like that :p

bacl0007

•••quote:•••Originally posted by carpe DO/MD/diem:
and, futrfysician, I'd also like to know if what you stated is correct or just speculation??????
....thanks.....
carpe</font>•••I got it thru insider information. I can't elaborate much more than that since if I did someone could peruse this and , well, sometimes the obvious you just have to know or read between the lines.

So the choice is yours. You can attempt to enhance it a bit, or just sit back and pray....or do both!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :D

I guess I will send a letter on intent or something. They are really getting on my nerves.