Email reminders of deadlines to recommendors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osupsych05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So dec. 1st is rapidly approaching, with a national holiday looming. Does it seem inappropriate to send an email reminder to someone writing you a letter of rec. who hasnt submitted it yet(online ones give a notification when its submitted). This person did it for me last year, and if memory serves waited till the last minute then as well, my concern is that he may be doing a lot of ppl's and i confirmed that he'd write mine via email so maybe having not made face time with him i could've slipped between teh cracks, although he assured he'd have them out by deadlines. Would an email seem pushy? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So dec. 1st is rapidly approaching, with a national holiday looming. Does it seem inappropriate to send an email reminder to someone writing you a letter of rec. who hasnt submitted it yet(online ones give a notification when its submitted). This person did it for me last year, and if memory serves waited till the last minute then as well, my concern is that he may be doing a lot of ppl's and i confirmed that he'd write mine via email so maybe having not made face time with him i could've slipped between teh cracks, although he assured he'd have them out by deadlines. Would an email seem pushy? Thanks!

Maybe you could send them a reminder of the deadlines in the context of other information? I sent some recommenders the names of the services behind those online sites (where available), in order to rescue the notification emails from their Spam Folders, and I put receipt deadlines right next to them.

If nothing else, you could exploit the opportunity to wish a Happy Thanksgiving! :D

No, I don't think it's inappropriate. I did the same thing on Monday ("Hi, just a friendly reminder that the letters are due ASAP, let me know if there's anything I can do to help") and found out that my last recommender went on vacation and forgot to do my letters beforehand. (FWIW, I spent the day yesterday contacting programs and when I explained, they were all ok with that letter being a few days late.)

Definitely worth reminding them!

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not inappropriate. I call it being "politely persistent."

I would consider it extremely unwise not to send them a reminder, and I wouldn't hide it in the text of another e-mail either. Most professors will completely understand how important this is for you and won't mind at all even if you do start to sound a little high strung.

Remember that your recomenders are (generally) professors and scientists, not businessmen. Even the most friendly and brilliant ones are frequently disorganized and forgetful.

I would consider it extremely unwise not to send them a reminder, and I wouldn't hide it in the text of another e-mail either. Most professors will completely understand how important this is for you and won't mind at all even if you do start to sound a little high strung.

Remember that your recomenders are (generally) professors and scientists, not businessmen. Even the most friendly and brilliant ones are frequently disorganized and forgetful.

Seconded. Definitely remind them, and do it loud and clear. I've been sending regular reminders to my recommenders, and all of them seem to appreciate it. (One specifically requested beforehand that I email her, the other two thanked me when I did.) Like Faded said, these guys tend to be busy thinking about other things and will understand your urgency -- and most likely appreciate the reminders.

I would definitely send an email. I am in the same boat as you.. My first deadline is Dec 15 and I have received 1 out of 3 LORs. I sent a reminder email this week and will be stopping by their offices next week if I do not hear from them.. I feel like I'm pestering them :oops: