Email request to meet & discuss my situation: Dean or Director of Admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theWUbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an email written up because I have a few questions and want to meet with the head of admissions at med schools A B and C about the level of grade forgiveness after doing lots of postbacc and SMP work.

Should I address this to the person with the title "Dean of Admissions" or the person with the title "Director of Admissions"? If you want to comment about the efficacy of such an email or about the topic of my email have at it, but I am not personally concerned with that at this juncture.

Director of admissions often seems to have an administrative degree, while Dean is an MD. Still, I'm not sure who in my situation I would want to meet with.

Quick answer would be appreciated!! Thank you for your help

Members don't see this ad.

I would just look up the person's name and adress them as Dr. (Whatever)

Edit:..lol sorry I read your post quickly. Personally I have dealt with both the director and dean of admissions at a certain school. The Director of admissions was the person who sat down with me and told me what I needed to do to better my application, while the Dean of admissions dealt more with things related more to the current application cycle - updating applications and what not. So, going by what I have Re-Read on your post, I would definately send it to the Director of Admissions. But, it probably wouldnt hurt to CC it to the Dean as well as Sammich suggested.

Last edited:
Sorry if i was ambiguous, i have the option to email one person who is director of admissions, or another person, who is dean of admissions. and i assume i'll have to chose between dean of admissions person and director of admissions person at multiple schools when emailing. do you suggest i just choose one and move on? would there be a better person between the two to contact?

Members don't see this ad :)
that seems like it could work, but i'm scared of overkill :scared:

You could even send the same e-mail to both. Address it to Dr so and so and Director so and so (or whatever the appropriate titles are)

Dear 1 &2,

I had a few questions regarding my application and was unsure which of you to contact. My questions are A, B, C.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
theWUbear

Sammich you're great...and thank you shineydome. email #1 gone...2 to 4 more to follow...

Np...I updated my original post...