1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Email solicitations from Med Schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by girlincogneato, Jul 31, 2006.

1. girlincogneato

girlincogneato New Member

Pre-Medical
    Is there any rhyme or reason to the email solicitations going out from med schools like Saint Louis or Medical College of Wisconsin?? Even a person I know who got a 29 on the MCAT (and is retaking in August!) is getting them-- does anyone know if they send these out to everyone or just to people they think are competitive??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. g3pro

g3pro Dr. Mogley
    7+ Year Member

They send out secondaries to all applicants, and they have a $75 or $100 fee for that... coincidence? I think not.

4. Guile

Guile 1K Member
    5+ Year Member

5. mfpullen

mfpullen Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It amazes me how many people get their panties twisted and start threads because of these e-mails...you have a delete button for a reason. Spam is not a new thing, unless you've been using only snail mail for the past, oh, 15 years or more.

mfpullen

6. ClockworkDoc

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, I get those emails too. It's just pathetic that they have to beg for our attention. You know what I'll do just to even things out? Reject them! Ha, how do you like them apples.

7. Haemulon

Haemulon Slippery When Wet
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    True enough, but keep in mind that many applicants are very nervous and unsure about this whole process (me included at times). So getting an email from a medical school is definitely something one would want to find out more about. SDN is meant for people to ask questions exactly like this and to find out if a communication is indeed just a Spam or something to be taken more seriously. Sure, there may be multiple threads posted, but there is no harm in throwing up another one if one cannot initially see something about a question already. (And yes, I do realize that there are search functions)

8. the12thmd

the12thmd Scooter rider.
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If I had never been to SDN, I would not have known that everyone on this site received those emails, and I would have likely been flattered and applied to said schools.

They're probably reeling in some cash.

9. mfpullen

mfpullen Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hmm...I don't think being a nervous pre-med (I'm one too, trust me) has anything to do with getting an e-mail from a school you didn't apply to, which is written poorly, and taking it seriously.

I highly doubt SLUM (hehe, love the name) and MCW recruit, especially through an automailer e-mail...

mfpullen

10. Haemulon

Resident [Any Field]
    Thats fine that you doubt the relationship between being nervous and receiving emails, especially since it has nothing to do with what I posted. The gist of my post was that being a nervous pre-med is a good reason to be curious about these emails and want to find out more about them. I am sure those schools would love to hear your expert and valuable critique of their marketing strategy and writing quality. Especially since you are probably much more successful and accomplished than the one's managing those institutions and their programs.

11. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi there,
    These schools are recruiting your money not you. Secondary application fees are a huge source of income for many schools.
    njbmd :)

12. etf

etf
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

they should be cited for solicitiation. the fine should be $100M. that would teach them.

13. mfpullen

mfpullen Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm sorry for assuming someone working for a medical school/university should have basic English skills. I'm also sorry for finding it humourous that the e-mail, supposedly from the Committee on Admissions contains the most disjointed, incomplete sentences I have ever seen in a "professional" e-mail.

Doesn't that reflect on the school to anyone? Money-grubbery, poor writing, mass e-mails?

mfpullen

14. etf

etf

just keep in mind that some of us would gladly take out jumbo-mortgage sized student loans and pay their tuition to have the chance to practice medicine...

15. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    SLU isn't pathetic! They just want money. Darn private schools. =P

16. Matth52

Matth52 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    These are med schools, how bad do they need an extra $50 here and there?

17. Dr.TobiasFünke

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have a policy… I don’t consider schools that advertise.

18. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown

Resident [Any Field]
    $50 isn't here and there. There is a total applicant pool of 30000+

19. mfpullen

mfpullen Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I couldn't agree more. It just reeks of greed and impersonal capitalist ideals.

::coughcouhaynrandcoughcough::

mfpullen

20. Haemulon

Resident [Any Field]
    Um ..... our whole society is based on capitalism. Including your future physician salary. And by the way the vast majority of schools don't screen primaries and simply want you to send the secondary check before screening you out (again, mostly as a money maker similar to the solicitations). So I'd be interested to see if your super-principles and aloof judgement of med-school recruitment will prohibit you from applying to all schools except those that pre-screen. Good luck with that.

21. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Strong work here, Hae. :thumbup:

22. Looque

Looque Bob Loblaw
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well yeah. I'm not sure how many applications they typically receive in a year, but say they get 3,000. There's $300,000 right there. I should start my own med school.

Oh wait, isn't there some new crappy movie like that?

23. mfpullen

mfpullen Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    No, I'll be in public health. Very little to do with capitolism there. Also, you're right, almost all schools send out secondaries prior to screening, but they also don't mass e-mail people. They limit it typically to those who applied in the first place. Blatant money-grubbery is horribly embarassing for institutions that really do a lot of good work, such as SLUM, I would imagine.

Also, just because capitolism is the basis of YOUR society, doesn't mean all the others out there are. Look at China. They own a good portion of American defense industries now. Wonder why....

24. Haemulon

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh yeh, and China is a real role model for what the U.S. society should be. Give me a break. This is not a debate about the socioeconomic systems of countries around the world. We are talking about American medical education recruitment.

And by the way, public health funding here is very much a product of capitalism. Where do you think all those tax dollars come from? :rolleyes:

25. Haemulon

Resident [Any Field]
    Also, have you ever considered that there may be different motives for email recruitment? Such as increasing numbers in the applicant pool so that they may have a more diverse group from which to select applicants? Or perhaps higher applicant numbers will make acceptance criteria look more stringent and enhance some of their stats. The email does not cost cost you anything. It is advertisement, plain and simple. So to extend your equating advertisement with "money-grubbery" would be to also condem virtually all forms of organizations that utilize mass advertizing, including SDN itsself (which you seem to be perfectly willing to use). Also keep in mind that you submitted your email information when you registered for the MCAT. I don't see how you can complain about them actually contacting you with the contact information that you provided. Bottom line, if you don't want to apply to their school, then don't apply. Seems to pretty much end the problem right there.

26. Dr.TobiasFünke

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: